toilets, closet bolts, etc.

Old 11-14-19, 02:06 PM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
toilets, closet bolts, etc.

I noticed a discoloration on the floor around my toilet, went to wipe it up, and realized it was from where the toilet had moved..twisted. What I see is the caulk. I can easily "twist" the whole toilet about a 3/4 inch right and left.

Silly amateur DIYer me thought I could just tighten the nuts that go on the (if I'm using the correct term) closet bolts.

I got new nuts, one of the old ones was all rusted, the other was actually caught up in the plastic toilet bowl cap, not even on the bolt. I tried to put the new nuts on. They wouldn't go on past 3 - 4 turns, it was so tight, the closet bolt was turning as I tried to tighten the nuts?

I went to a plumbing supply store (as opposed to a generic hardware store) and the kind clerk educated me .... the issue isn't tightening the nuts, that would just crack the porcelain. Maybe the closet bolts are loose?

I'm still confused. Should the closet bolt easily turn by hand??? How do I screw down the new nuts on the closet bolts if the bolts turn while I'm trying to screw the nuts on?

The clerk said the caulk is what would give the toilet stability so it doesn't turn, twist, side to side? Is that correct?

Maybe it's not a "problem"? Just re-caulk and stop twisting the toilet, ha ha. We are a family of short people and the toilet does get used as a step stool to reach the cabinets over the toilet.

The whole toilet, flange, closet bolts, etc., are only about 7 months old.

Top Answer

11-14-19, 03:15 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You need to pull the toilet, get a new wax seal, new brass flange bolts and examine your flange while you have the toilet off. Flange bolts should not turn as you put the nut on. If they do, it's likely that your flange is broken. If the bolts get tightened too tight, they will break a pvc flange.

Old 11-14-19, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
You need to pull the toilet, get a new wax seal, new brass flange bolts and examine your flange while you have the toilet off. Flange bolts should not turn as you put the nut on. If they do, it's likely that your flange is broken. If the bolts get tightened too tight, they will break a pvc flange.

CasualJoe, Furd, izzie voted this post useful.
Old 11-14-19, 03:35 PM
I
Thanks....so honestly, really, for sure, the flange bolts should not be turning? I want to "kick" this up to the contractor who renovated the bathroom, new flooring, new toilet, etc. It's only about 7 - 8 months ago they did this.

I want to be sure I am correct when I insist that the flange bolt is bad, shouldn't be turning, when I have him come look at it.

Old 11-14-19, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Flange bolts should not turn as you put the nut on.
?...?..............................

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 11-14-19, 03:43 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Xsleeper is correct. As was the clerk, but only partially. The caulk does nothing to secure the toilet. Agree the flange is most likely broken or the bolt is so rusted that it no longer has a head on it. Or it may have slipped out of the slot. If the hardware is that rusted, I'd be concerned about the floor having water damage or possibly rot.

It's amazing how much abuse a toilet can take. Many years ago I had an uncle who to say the least was very big and heavy as was the rest of the family. Their toilet actually swiveled almost 90 degrees. and to my knowledge it never leaked. And their cat used it also.

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 11-14-19, 03:55 PM
I
You guys are great, thanks so much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: