Toilet vented to attic

Old 11-25-19, 08:39 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet vented to attic

Im rewiring my house and while crawling around in the attic I could smell sewage. When I got to the back of the house I found the culprit, the toilet is vented to the attic. I have occasionally caught a wif inside but could never put my finger on it. I have a roof that is only about two months old and would hate to put a hole in it. The pipe comes out right beside the attic vent (screen) but it's not enough. My wife is currently going through chemo so I'm doing everything in my power to keep her from getting sicker. What is the best option to get this vented out? It looks like what we used to call ductal pipe. My idea is to add a 45 and carry it flush with the screened vent on the side peek of the roof.

Old 11-26-19, 03:47 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It should be vented through the roof. That is standard and correct. If you can't do it, call a contractor. It's not a tough job and will be done in just few hours.

Old 11-26-19, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
MUST be vented up through the roof. It's a code requirement. Luckily it's how all plumbing vents are done so it's a pretty simple addition. I would attach PVC to your cast iron since it's much easier to deal with and the flashing boots are available at all home centers and building suppliers.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 11-26-19, 06:35 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
It must go through the roof, not the gable end!
The reason being as air passes across the vent it creates a negative pressure which sucks out the vent gasses.

Old 11-26-19, 07:24 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
That the roof is new is a plus as the shingles should still be nice and pliable so it should not be a problem doing a good job.

Old 11-26-19, 09:47 AM
R
Thanks guys. Just the info i needed. Time to pull up some how too videos!

Old 11-26-19, 04:04 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, If you are going to do this yourself a little hint the hole you cut in the roof has to be bigger than the pipe. ( Plumed pipe to a pitched roof = a bigger hole) Take a piece of pipe on the roof with a level, chalk and a tape. Hold the pipe on the roof plum it up one side of the pipe will be on the roof the other side won't. Make a mark on the side that touches the pipe and where the other side would hit if it was long enough.
Good luck Woodbutcher

Old 11-26-19, 04:04 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
It looks like what we used to call ductal pipe.

Did you mean Ductile Iron? I would seriously doubt it. As far as I know ductile iron pipe was used for water mains, but never for DWV applications, I think it's cast iron. It's easy to connect PVC pipe to a cast iron hub, just use a donut gasket in the hub and the PVC pipe is driven into the hub.

Here is a gasket to adapt 3" PVC pipe to the 4" cast iron hub you have in your attic. You can then run the 3" PVC through the roof for your vent.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-4-in...ngs/1000075393

Old 11-30-19, 08:31 PM
R
Thanks guys. Im going to sub this one out. After crawling around all week wiring this house i feel like i was hit by a truck. Im getting to old to do this stuff every day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: