Leaking Flush Valve Seal

Old 12-15-19, 11:27 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Flush Valve Seal

It looks like the seal from our cylinder-type flush valve is leaking/not sitting right against the drain, so the toilet will run constantly....or sometimes just occasionally, as the water level dips below the fill line. I went to HD to try and find a replacement "cylinder" type like what is shown below, but couldn't find it. Has this style been replaced by the flapper style?

I ended up buying an entire kit, but would rather just replace the flapper seal if I can get away with doing just that. Can I return the kit and just buy new flapper assembly and put it in, or am I better off tracking down a replacement "cylinder" style assembly and replacing that piece?

Top Answer

12-16-19, 05:30 PM
Woodbutcher
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Not sure of what you have. have a Kohler With a 3" tower style flush valve. The moving part of the tower can be removed with out much labor and on the of the movable part is a gasket seal that can be replaced. That being said bought a seal at Home Depot for future use. The seal is made by Korky fits Kohler and American Standard. Part number 435. The card it is packed in has a picture of the towers The card it comes in is about 4X5" and sealed in clear plastic.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 12-16-19, 07:47 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Nothing shows up below!!!!

You say it is a cylinder and then talk about replacing a flapper, which is it?

Old 12-16-19, 10:50 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I went to HD to try and find a replacement "cylinder" type like what is shown below, but couldn't find it.

I can't find it either, but suspect you have a part proprietary to the manufacturer. I'm sure Korky makes a flapper that will replace it, but to be sure you may want to contact the manufacturer for the exact replacement part.

Old 12-16-19, 05:30 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Not sure of what you have. have a Kohler With a 3" tower style flush valve. The moving part of the tower can be removed with out much labor and on the of the movable part is a gasket seal that can be replaced. That being said bought a seal at Home Depot for future use. The seal is made by Korky fits Kohler and American Standard. Part number 435. The card it is packed in has a picture of the towers The card it comes in is about 4X5" and sealed in clear plastic.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

1madmouse, CasualJoe, haytrain voted this post useful.
Old 12-23-19, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I will agree with Woodbutcher since I have 3 of those Kohlers with the 3"tower looks like a cylinder. You can get the replacement rubbers, just be careful when you install it to not nick the edge or you will have the same problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: