add mixing valve to shower

Old 12-18-19, 08:01 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
add mixing valve to shower

hello,
i have an issue with the hot water on my shower , isnt really hot ,i already tryed to replace the catridge but nothing , i think that i have to replace all the mixing valve , but for replace it i have to do a hole in the wall and i cant rebuild the bath now.
in the basement i have the lane come in the shower , can i add a mixing valve to the cold water to set the cold water around 80 in the basement line ? so the shower will start from 80 plus the hot ?

thanks a lot

Old 12-19-19, 05:09 AM
Received 1,104 Upvotes on 1,004 Posts
i already tryed to replace the catridge but nothing
So you tried or you did replace?

The cartridge is part of the mixing valve and I don't fully understand what your trying to do, add hot water to the cold water?

Your issue appears to be the cartridge not functioning correctly and I would suggest going back to that as the most likely cause.

Did you use and OEM part vs generic?

Old 12-19-19, 06:22 AM
B
Received 235 Upvotes on 208 Posts
A mixing valve added to a cold water line can only be adjusted to warm the water (up to the hot water feed temperature) going to the cold water line. A mixing valve added to a hot water line can only be adjusted to cool the water (down to the cold water feed temperature) going to the hot water line. The source of heat or cooling is the hot and cold water into the mixing valve. If the flow to the shower head is okay in the cold position you could try the following. In the basement disconnect and cap off the hot water feed to the shower valve. Add a mixing valve to the cold water line going to the shower valve, Connect cold and hot water feed lines to the mixing valve. Adjust mixing valve to suit with the shower valve in the cold position. Good luck.

Old 12-19-19, 03:45 PM
M
Received 259 Upvotes on 232 Posts
Did this shower ever work correctly?

Are you sure it is not a thermostatic controlled valve just set too cool?
If it is then I do not think adding hat to the cold line will do anything.

Does the hot feed line get hot compared to others in the basement when run for a while.

Old 12-19-19, 09:43 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So you tried or you did replace?
i did , but still the same , nothing changed , the whole house have a hot water ( the rest is just sinks , so i can open just the hot water and obviusly is very hot ) so i think that i need to replace the whole mixing valve , but i cannot do it now because is inside the wall and i have to brake too much , so i thinking about cut the cold pipe in the basement under the shower and put a mixing valve , to set the cold water around 80 , so in the shower the water will not start from 50.

i dont know if ever worked right , i bought the house 1 month ago

Old 12-20-19, 03:12 AM
Received 1,104 Upvotes on 1,004 Posts
the whole house have a hot water
Again the valve is just a fixture to hold the cartridge so it should not have anything to do with the water temps.

Bust it out, put in a mixing valve but your symptoms point to a bad cartridge and I'd be trying to fix the root cause first.

When you take out the cartridge, flush the lines going to the valve that should confirm, one, that they are clean and not clogged, two, that you have hot water to the valve!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: