Scratched bathtub rusting out - solution???

Old 01-19-21, 07:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scratched bathtub rusting out - solution???

I have an originally installed (1987?) porcelain over metal bathtub that has various large scratches that are now rusting. These are not rust stains but actual rust as somehow the tub's surface was scratched down to the metal. There looks like also some rust around the drain hole but I can't tell if that is a rust stain or actual rust. I've seen solutions for rust stains but how do I fix actual rust before it rusts all the way through and the tub starts to leak?

Top Answer

01-19-21, 09:43 AM
Zorfdt
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
For what it's worth, I got one of those touch-up repair kits. Worked pretty well, but yellowed only after a few months.
Separately, had an old (probably 50's/60's) cast iron tub reglazed professionally. I was thrilled with the finish and how great it looks - and reasonably inexpensive. As Pilot Dane mentioned, I know it won't be as sturdy as the original porcelain glaze, but even if it has to be redone in 10-15 years, it will be well worthwhile.

Old 01-19-21, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You should look into a porcelain tub repair kit. Once you seal the scratch it will quit rusting. The kit may not look perfect but it will look better than a rusty scratch does.

Old 01-19-21, 08:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You can get a kit like XSleeper mentioned or there are companies that will "re-glaze" which is basically epoxy painting. If doing it yourself do NOT skimp on the preparation. Prep is the biggest and most important part of the job. Since you have rust around your drain the drain should be removed so you can coat that area.

After you have re-glazed your tub treat it like the painted finish on a car since your tub is basically painted. Follow the manufacturers instructions for cleaning which usually means absolutely nothing abrasive.

Old 01-19-21, 09:43 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
For what it's worth, I got one of those touch-up repair kits. Worked pretty well, but yellowed only after a few months.
Separately, had an old (probably 50's/60's) cast iron tub reglazed professionally. I was thrilled with the finish and how great it looks - and reasonably inexpensive. As Pilot Dane mentioned, I know it won't be as sturdy as the original porcelain glaze, but even if it has to be redone in 10-15 years, it will be well worthwhile.

CasualJoe, joecaption voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: