Removal of old tub/shower faucet

Old 09-18-22, 01:19 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removal of old tub/shower faucet

Haven't bought the replacement for this old Delta 3 handle POS yet (hoping to switch to a single handle - suggestions for a well-made brand welcome), but I could use some help with how to remove this one. I've done some plumbing, but never replaced a tub faucet. What order do you recommend for sweating off the connections, and will I need to make any cuts? Thanks!

Old 09-18-22, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,846 Posts
If you don't have shut off valves right at the shower.... leave the valve as it is for now so that you have water in the house. You'll be needing to cut the copper and probably replace fittings.

There are many name brand shower valves. Too many to recommend.
Stick with a name brand like Moen, Kohler, Pfister and Delta.... the biggies.
Once you get the one you want.... then address how to remove the old one and plumb the new one.

Old 09-19-22, 12:03 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Pete. So, rather than de-soldering the old fittings, you're saying I should just cut the pipe and replace them, right? And stick with sweating the new connections vs. using PEX, in your opinion?

I just replaced the valve stems on the current junker, but it still needs to go. Just a sloppy valve set, and no balancing or anything. I'm looking for a model that isn't all plastic (I know, good luck), and doesn't cost a grand. Thanks again - have a great week.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: