Need to do a HACK job on my toilet

Old 09-29-22, 10:55 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to do a HACK job on my toilet

I've got an older toilet with a huge flush capacity so I'm trying to keep it rather than replacing it with a newer lower capacity toilet.

Problem is it's as old as the hills and the oval shaped rubber gasket between the tank and base has aged and water now leaks at that connection point when it's flushed.

I'm guessing what I need to fix the issue is some kind of flexible adhesive that bonds to ceramic. I believe where the two make contact the bottom is glazed and the tank isn't...so the adhesive would need to stick to both glazed and non-glazed ceramic.

Any suggestion for what kind of gasket maker adhesive to use? or advice in general on how to get this done? Thanks

Top Answer

09-30-22, 05:08 AM
cwbuff
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
When low volume flush toilets first came out they got a well deserved reputation for not being very efficient. Engineering and design have improved them considerably and new toilets flush as well as the older high volume ones.

If you can't find or make a gasket, buying a new toilet isn't a bad option.

Old 09-30-22, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would first try to make a gasket work. Find a gasket of the right size. Then I'd use some spots of glue to adhere it to the bowl in the oval shape you need. Then set the tank on top. If you want to use a sealant silicone caulk could work if you give it time to cure.

Better still, I'd just replace the toilet. I have used a lot of Briggs toilets with good luck. It's a brand imported from China. They are quite inexpensive and work well.

bradleyheathhay voted this post useful.
Old 09-30-22, 05:08 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
When low volume flush toilets first came out they got a well deserved reputation for not being very efficient. Engineering and design have improved them considerably and new toilets flush as well as the older high volume ones.

If you can't find or make a gasket, buying a new toilet isn't a bad option.

bradleyheathhay, CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-23, 05:30 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice yall. I tried to remove my tank to take pictures of the situation and was quickly reminded the last time I put it back together I laid down some caulk between it and the bottom, and it is now solidly attached, but apparently still not sealed. There's a decent chance I can work it loose, but that would involve possibly compromising the seal in the floor and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

So for now I'd just like to lay in a good band of caulking or adhesive around the junction where I can get to it and see if that gets me by. Any suggestion for something that will likely fix this leak? Here's the junction I'll be trying to seal.

Old 03-09-23, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
An extension cord, wadded up and hanging behind the toilet... really?

Separate the tank from the toilet and replace the gasket. Or, replace the whole toilet with something modern. My local lumber yard carries Briggs brand toilets, a inexpensive Chinese made brand that is pretty decent quality if you want to keep the cost down.

You will have a difficult time sealing the tank to the toilet with caulk. You can't clean the area so caulk won't adhere well. And, you've got a LOT to seal. The biggest problem will be around the tank mounting bolts.

bradleyheathhay, manden voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: