Kitchen sink blues

Old 06-10-23, 03:34 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink blues

Hello! I have a double-basin kitchen sink. Several years ago I removed a broken garbage disposal and didn't put in a new one. Things went fine until recently, when water started backing up into the second basin when we drained the first. We also started to get gurgling in the drain of the second basin whenever we run water in the first basin. I thought I had a clog and so removed the p-traps, but they were clear. Then I ran a 25-foot drain snake into the wall. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem as before. Here's a photo:

Suggestions?

Old 06-11-23, 01:01 PM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Do any other sinks back-up?
Do both traps go into the same drain line?
If no on the first question and yes on the second, that means you have another clog further down the pipe prior to it emptying into the main drain. And you might need to break the line half way and put in a union. I'll also bet that you have at least one or two 90-degree bends in that sink line prior to it getting to the main drain.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 06-11-23, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Then I ran a 25-foot drain snake into the wall
Really
Most clogs are within that distance of a kitchen sink.

Quite possibly you sent the snake right thru the clog.
Those two sinks will share a common drain line and common vent line.

Is there a basement to see the drain lines ?
If not.... is the kitchen on a slab ?

Old 06-12-23, 08:56 AM
M
Yes, the kitchen is above a basement and I can see the drain lines. Also, I have a new development. Not only has the problem not been fixed, but it's gotten worse. I have more water than before backing up into both basins whenever I run the faucet for longer than a second or two, and water is now backing up into the dishwasher. Also, when I run the dishwasher both basins fill about halfway with water.

Old 06-12-23, 09:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
Definetely a clog. I'd get the snake back out and try again. You can roughly locate the clog by how long it takes the water to back up.

Let it sit for an hour so anything that can drain will leave the pipe. Then turn on the faucet full on. Keep track of how long it takes for the backup to reach the sink. If it backs up quickly the clog is nearby. The longer it takes the water to back up the further away the clog is located.

mrjeanbean voted this post useful.
Old 06-12-23, 11:44 AM
M
And no, I don't have water backing up into any other sinks. I was thinking about renting a 50-foot snake from Home Depot, but then I decided I didn't feel like going all the way out to the suburbs and bought the 25-foot version from Ace. Would you recommend getting a longer and more powerful drain auger?

Old 06-12-23, 11:48 AM
M
It sounds like the 25-footer should work. Thanks for the help! I'll follow your instructions and let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-12-23, 12:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
Clearing a drain is sort of like fishing where you feel the line to figure out what's happening at the other end. It just takes experience to feel when it has hit a clog or is snagged on a pipe joint or fitting. But, clogs tend to have a soft or squishy feeling where catching a fitting is a more sharp hit. Once you know where the clog you might be able to run water in one sink while you snake from the other. Having some water flowing can be helpful to wash away debris as you break up the clog. When you feel where the clog is make a mental note of how far in the snake is and work back and forth in that area several times to make sure you remove all the clog and don't just poke a small hole through it.

Old 06-12-23, 02:22 PM
M
Good to know. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 06-12-23, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Your dishwasher will get water in it because it's not setup correctly.
The drain line must be fastened directly up and under the countertop.

Some pictures of the drain lines in the basement would be helpful too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: