Water disappeaing from toilet tank

Old 08-31-23, 08:00 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water disappeaing from toilet tank

I just installed a new toilet. The toilet and tank are one piece. I'm not using it until I'm sure there are no leaks, so I filled the tank and flushed it a number of times to test it. Everything seemed fine, with no water leaking out where the toilet was sealed to the flange. I filled the tank and turned off the water. Later on, when I checked the tank it was completely empty. No sign of water leaking into the toilet and no sign of water on the floor. I filled the tank and left it overnight, and this morning the tank was completely dry. It's empty even below where the water would be flushed into the toilet. Shouldn't water remain at the bottom of the tank below that level? Unless, of course, there was a crack in the bottom of the bowl, but there would be water on the floor in that case. Any idea what the issue might be?

Last edited by mickeyrory; 08-31-23 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-31-23, 08:43 AM
Z
Received 135 Upvotes on 126 Posts
It sounds like your flush valve may not be tightened down properly and thus the tank water will slowly drain down into the bowl. You can test to see if that’s the case. After your tank has completely drained don’t turn the water back on. Instead, add a little water in the tank but not up to the flapper. Wait and you will see that the water you added has also disappeared into the bowl.

I have had a case where the flush valve was not properly tightened down as it came from the factory, and it leaked into the bowl. I think it is easier in your case to tighten the valve down because it is a one-piece toilet. You don’t need to remove the tank – which is a headache - to tighten the valve. You work right from inside the tank on a one-piece.

Old 08-31-23, 09:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Yep, sounds like a leaking flush valve. An easy test is to put food coloring (or cola for the color) into the tank. Do not flush. If the color appears in the bowl you know it's leaking.

mickeyrory voted this post useful.
Old 08-31-23, 09:03 AM
M
Thanks Zoesdad! Coincidentally, I flushed the toilet after turning the water off, so the only water remaining in the tank is below the flush valve. I'll wait to see what happens. Of course, I've already seen that the tank drained dry below the outlet where the flush valve is seated. If the remainder of the water drains as I suspect it will, do you think the tank has a crack in it? Where a tank is separate from the toilet it would leak onto the floor, but I'm thinking that with a one-piece tank and toilet a crack would lead to a leak into the toilet. itself. Does that sound right to you?

Old 08-31-23, 09:29 AM
M
Thanks for that great idea? I'll add the coloring right away.

Old 08-31-23, 10:22 AM
Z
Received 135 Upvotes on 126 Posts
Gee Ė Iím sure no expert but I would think you would be able to see the crack if thatís the case. But Iím not certain at all. I forgot about the dye test as Pilot Dane describes. Thatís a good test. I did it with red dye once. Iíll never use red again. It brought back memories of when I had an issue and the toilet was full of blood. Next time Iíll use green or some other color.

Old 09-02-23, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
If there was a crack in the toilet.... the water would eventually find it's way to the ceiling below.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-23, 06:24 PM
Q
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I had a similar problem with an older toilet. Did the food color test. Water was leaking. Home Depot carries an inexpensive repair kit that did the job. But, if yours is new, you should be able to get it exchanged at no extra cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: