How to Approach this Shower Repair?

Old 11-16-23, 12:36 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to Approach this Shower Repair?

Hello plumbing/tiling experts!

My 11 year old master shower has had some transition tiles separating recently as well as mold issues in the corners so I've been investigating further. The tiles by the step down were spot bonded and I removed them all. I can't quite tell if there's any waterproofing for the base. I'd ideally like to save the floor and the walls of this shower if possible and not start from scratch. I have a few extra original tiles but before I started just cementing them back down I want to ensure that this shower is in decent shape and has the appropriate waterproofing. I'm the original homeowner so I have some construction photos (but unfortunately can't find any with workers completing the shower).

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

-Al

Old 11-16-23, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Those photos don't show anything of any value... you won't know how they did it until you tear the tile and wallboard off the walls. Generally showers that leak- or that weren't waterproofed correctly- can't be easily repaired. They are usually a total loss.

If you get the wall tile off and you happen to find a membrane behind the wallboard that surrounds the pan, you would then do a 24 hr flood test (plug the drain pipe with a balloon and fill to near the top of the curb with water) to see if the pan holds water for 24 hrs with no leakage. If it holds, you're lucky and could proceed with repairing the walls.

Old 11-16-23, 04:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply XSleeper .

Could I maybe try using my inspection camera through the gap in the shower head hole to see what they used for the wall boards? Else maybe use it through a nearby electrical box to take a look?

Are you suggesting that I need to get the shower wall tile off regardless? If so, won't that demo take the wallboards with it?

Old 11-16-23, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
It depends what method was used, but the prospects for preserving the walls is next to nil. IMO your only hope is if they used a dry pack preslope subfloor, membrane and mortar sloped pan + curb over the top of that membrane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: