Clogged Kitchen Sink with Garbage Disposal

Old 11-25-23, 06:47 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Clogged Kitchen Sink with Garbage Disposal

Hello,

So I removed all the PVC pipes that connect the outlet of the garbage disposal to the large PVC pipe that goes into the concrete slab. No clogs whatsoever in those pipes. I don't see anything in the garage disposal itself or under the blades. Water runs freely out of the disposer outlet with the pipe removed.

I've tried Roto-Rooter Gel and another brand of liquid drain opener with no success.

Do you think the large pipe going into the concrete slab is clogged? I'll admit we have been dumping hamburger grease into the garbage disposal for the last two years but always run hot water for a few minutes. However, I did not see any grease buildup in the pipes I removed.

Not sure if I can get a plumber out here on a Sunday. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-26-23, 05:27 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Yes, you definitely have a grease build up and clog further down that pipe. Don't ever pour grease down the drain, don't use any chemical drain cleaners. And garbage disposal really should not be used at all. Pouring hot water after grease will only cause the grease to line the pipe and continue to restrict flow and catch debris as more and more semi solids flow through.
You need to have that pipe reamed out all the way to the street, or septic tank or whatever you have.
If you're up to it, you can go to HD and rent a roto router or a large heavy-duty snake and do it yourself. But I think you'd be better off having a professional do it.
And stop using the garbage disposal.
When I did my kitchen remodel about 10 years ago, we installed a GD. We quickly learned the negatives about it and never used it since.

Old 11-26-23, 09:03 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well I pumped the sink with a toilet plunger this morning several times and the clog seems to have cleared (cleared enough to drain at least). Hopefully it stays cleared as long as we don't pour grease down it anymore.

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: