leak under kitchen sink

Old 01-30-24, 11:19 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leak under kitchen sink

I found a leak under the kitchen sink. It must have been going on for a long time because the wood is turning black from decay (see first picture). I believe the sealant between the sink and countertop is getting too old and breaking apart (see second picture). Would that happen after only 6 years? I was thinking to get as much of the old sealant and gunk off as possible and use a clear silicone sealant, as in the 3rd picture. Would that work?

Old 01-31-24, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,185 Upvotes on 1,955 Posts
Are there any clips or brackets attaching the sink to the plywood? They attach into the channel you see on all four sides of the sink. I don't see any in the pictures. Without them the sink is only held in place by the caulk and may break free (fall down) over time and with dropping heavy pots into the sink.

Before caulking look at the gap between sink and counter while you push down medium hard on the sink. Try that in several spots around the perimeter. You can also put a finger across the gap to feel for movement. If you see or feel the sink move when you push it could be part way through the process of falling down (especially if you don't have clips holding it in place). In that case you'd be better off removing the sink and re-installing it with new sealant and clips.

Old 01-31-24, 10:20 AM
D
Pilot Dane I don't see any clips but isn't the sink between the plywood and countertop? I uploaded another picture of the opposite corner to the original post. It looks like the sink is between the plywood and countertop.

Old 01-31-24, 11:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,185 Upvotes on 1,955 Posts
Yes, I think you are correct about the sink being sandwiched between the plywood and granite. I have never seen it done like that.

That is a fair bit of water to be getting through that gap, but it is possible. I would double check the faucet to make sure it's not leaking and sending water between the granite and plywood. A leaking faucet can easily send that much water into the cabinet (under the counter).

If it is the sink to granite join that is letting the water through then I would caulk the joint. I'd pick out anything loose or looks questionable. Then put a rag over a putty knife to get into the gap as deep as possible and thoroughly clean the gap. Then I'd do the deep clean with a few passes using a alcohol soaked rag to make sure any grease & oil is removed. Then caulk.

Old 01-31-24, 07:45 PM
D
Pilot Dane thank you for the great advice! At first, I thought you might be right about the faucet because I replaced it a few months ago. But the fresh water in this new pic is far from the faucet. Looks like it's coming from that corner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: