Dishwasher air gap help

Old 03-25-24, 05:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher air gap help

Hi all,

My Bosch dishwasher stopped draining after working for a year and half after we moved into the house. After checking the dishwasher drain I moved on to the air gap, which is attached to a disposal. After removing the plastic cap, I noticed water in the line coming from the dishwasher.

Is this even connected the right way? Acc. to diagrams on the internet the connections should be switched.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-24, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
That looks correct.
Typically what happens is that there is a blockage in the line going to the disposer so that when the dishwasher drains the water comes up and out of the air gap. Creates quite a mess.

The drain line needs to go from the air gap directly to the disposer with no low spot in the hose.

Some Bosch dishwashers have a check valve keeping the water from draining back into the machine which means there would be water in the line from the dishwasher to the air gap.

Old 03-25-24, 07:54 PM
R
Removed all hoses and ran a wire down as a snake ... rechecked the drain and the made sure the impeller is rotating fine.

Still doesn't drain. It removes the water if I run the clean cycle a couple of times, I see the water going into the garbage disposal ...

Any ideas will be appreciated?

Old 03-28-24, 03:34 PM
R
Found the problem.. I removed drain hose from the air gap and let it drain in a bucket. Turned on the rinse cycle and out came a piece of plastic. Not sure how I missed it when I snaked a power cord thru it a couple of days ago. Working fine now ....

Thanks!

Old 03-28-24, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
you can remove that air gap and install a high loop under the sink. Most if not all codes state they are not needed today

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: