Help! My couch is exploding! 😩

Old 01-16-17, 07:08 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! My couch is exploding! 😩

So admittedly this is not a high end couch... I literally ran out of money when I finally got to choosing a couch. That being said it is about 4 years old and experiencing some bizarre material fraying (what I like to describe as decay as the material is this black cloth / cover that crumbles from the sofa into pieces and when touched those pieces turn to dust and literally blacken everything they touch.. decay). As this material continues to fail cushions are exploding and main upholstery is shifting. I have no idea what I am doing ... please someone just tell me how (without wrapping in duct tape) I can save this dying couch.

I have plenty of pics (not sure how to post them here) which probably better explain my problem.

Old 01-16-17, 07:23 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You need a new sofa. But the Duct tape idea is not so bad.

Old 01-16-17, 08:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sounds like bonded leather, the particle board of upholstery covering. Bits of leather scraps mixed with glue and spread on a cloth backing.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 01-17-17, 03:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Years ago we'd cover worn out couches with a blanket to hide the wear.
btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-17-17, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
While you can get a readymade slipcover to cover and hide it, there's nothing you can do about exploding cushions (never heard of that happening) or shifting upholstery (not sure what that means), except replace or remake them. Unless you can do it yourself, it doesn't sound like it would be worth the cost, which will be pricey.
Otherwise, there's really nothing you can do to fix this. It needs to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: