What type of fabric / upholstery is this?

Old 04-01-18, 06:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What type of fabric / upholstery is this?

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum. I own a small sport equipment manufacturing business, and I am looking for a very specific type of material. I have no idea what it's called, or typically used for. At first glance it is a rather soft type of upholstery. I don't usually work with fabrics, so I will do my best to describe it, and I apologize in advance for most likely using the wrong terminology! Hopefully the pictures I attached will also help.

It is a short hair type upholstery. It has a ''cloth type backing'', and it looks like the way they make this stuff, is they fold the hair in half, and both ends are pocked through the backing. So the soft part, what goes on top, is those hair ends. It is quite durable, but if you glue this stuff down, and then try to peel it of, the backing comes off but the hair stays glued down.

It is definitely not your typical commercial type carpet, it's much much more soft, and you touch the ends of the hair as suppose to a loop on top like on some other material.

They are not glued down hair, they really are poked from the back of the backing, towards the top.

I hope I make some sens!! Looking at the pictures, and with that description, does anyone have an idea of what this could be? I would really appreciate your help!!

Thank you very much in advance!

Alex

Attached Images      
Old 04-01-18, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It sure looks like a carpet in the pictures.

You mentioned fabric, upholstery and carpet.
What are you looking for and what will you be doing with it ?

Old 04-01-18, 08:06 PM
D
We use it for a very specific niche market, on the inside of gloves for wheelchair users. it's tough, souple and it doesn't slip when wet.

Old 04-02-18, 08:57 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
It is called a cut pile (as opposed to a loop pile.) Used mostly to describe carpet. An on-line search for "cut pile" or "cut pile upholstery" will give definitions, examples and possible sources.

Old 04-06-18, 05:23 AM
D
Thanks 2john02458. I ended up figuring that part out, now I'm struggling with finding a supplier that would have such a thin carpet like materiel. That stuff is about .090'' thick. Any idea where I'd fine something that thin?

Old 04-06-18, 09:28 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Seems like carpeting will be too thick. Check with furniture stores or any shops that do re-upholstering. They may have fabric samples that you could evaluate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: