What type of filling do I need to recreate this design?

Old 11-21-18, 12:12 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What type of filling do I need to recreate this design?

Hi,

I've just finished building a new window seat in a bay window and now want to make a nice, plump, cosy cushion to cover it. The seat is a trapezoid about 3m wide at the front and 1.5m wide at the back. About 1m deep.

I love the look of this cushion:
Name:  Cushion.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  22.2 KB

My mom will do the sewing, but I need to know what to stuff it with to achieve this effect. We want it to thick enough so that you don't sink down into the wood surface and it doesn't flatten, but soft enough to give you a big hug when you sit into it.

Is it feathers, down, polyester...?

Any advice would be recommended.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-18, 01:12 PM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Foam padding, topped or surrounded by batting, is typically the way I've done it. There are various levels of firmness in foam, and various levels of loft in batting. The foam provides the structure and support for your body, and the batting is what makes it soft and squishy.

Old 11-21-18, 07:51 PM
S
Also, to get that "plump" effect, it looks like they tufted it. That's done by placing buttons through the fabric and padding to pull the fabric taut. There are tons of videos on YouTube about "upholstery tufting" that do a much better job showing it than I could ever explain in words.

Old 11-22-18, 02:50 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's great - thanks @SuperSquirrel.

So I'll get some foam cut to the right shape - maybe half to 3/4 of the total height - and then add a polyester layer on top.

Any reason not to use this type of filling on top of the foam (vs batting sheets)? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Pol.../dp/B0027DX60E

And appreciate the tip on tufting - will definitely try that as it is a great effect.

Old 11-22-18, 07:08 AM
S
As you probably saw, batting comes in sheets. What I see as the advantage to batting is that you can spray the foam with an adhesive, and glue the batting sheet to the foam. That would help keep the batting from shifting inside the cushion. You can also wrap it completely around the foam, which helps stabilize it a bit too.

I'd be worried that a lot of loose fill would have a tendency to shift when it gets sat upon repeatedly, and you'd have to fluff your cushions to work out lumps. Much like you have to fluff a pillow, because it's just stuffed with filling. If that's the effect you're going for, then go for fill.

That's what I enjoy about upholstery, there's no real "right" or "wrong." It's about personal taste and preference. Experiment with layering foam, fill, etc., and lay some fabric over it for a "test-sit" before you build it for real and start sewing. Then you can tweak it as needed.

Old 11-22-18, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I wouldn't use the loose fill. That's just for pillows. You need High Density foam and buy the height you need, to be as high as you want and need it to be. I'd say at least 3" or preferably 4" (sorry don't know metric). I'd get a medium for good support, but not too hard.
You want a thick dacron batting, wrapped all around the foam. That's what will give you that thick, soft, cushy seat.
You can tuft or not, but if you want that exact look, you'll have to tuft.
See if you can find an upholstery shop around you or there's probably a supplier online. To get the best stuff you really need to get it there.

Old 11-22-18, 11:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
2.54 cm/inch so Shadeladie is recommending about 10 cm.

Old 11-23-18, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
A couple more tips to get that "crown" effect at the top. You can layer a couple more sheets of batting on top to make it more full and cushy.
When your mom sews the cover, she can make the boxing strip a little smaller. So say you used a 3" piece of foam, she can make the band 1/2" smaller, which will balloon the top more.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-23-18 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Clarify something

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: