Tryng to lay down new vinyl flooring in my bathroom

Old 05-08-16, 08:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tryng to lay down new vinyl flooring in my bathroom

Actually, it is a power room about 5'9" by 5'9" so it is not a big bathroom at all. It has wood edgings on each edges where it meets the wall, and has 5 obstructions (toilet, toilet water pipe, sink, and two water pipes for the sink.)

I need to remove the flat vinly flooring glued down to the wood floor, and I would like to lay down vinyl flooring that has a bit of cushion feel.

What is a goood approach to being this project. Is this something average person can do without spending hundreds of dollars on a carpenter?

Old 05-08-16, 10:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I need to remove the flat vinly flooring glued down to the wood floor
Why. If it is glued down well you can just go over it. Remove the shoe molding (or quarter round) but leave the base board. Remove the toilet and cut the new vinyl to fit around the outside edge of the toilet flange. To go around pipes cut a hole the size of the pipe and slit the vinyl from wall to hole. An escutcheon over the pipe hole makes for a nicer appearance. If you have a vanity cabinet just cut around it and trim out with shoe molding.

Old 05-09-16, 05:01 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
If it's just a small box style vanity, not a built in remove the whole thing.
A while lot easier then trying to cut out around it.

Old 05-09-16, 05:16 AM
You can not just lay new vinyl over old, you need first to lay down a layer of 1/4" underlayment grade plywood (no luan) and skim the nail holes and seams flat. All obstacles are to be removed, toilet, sink pedistal, ect. Then the loose lay vinyl is installed and perimeter glued. Edged are covered either in shoe moldings or the base molding if you had removed that first.

Old 05-09-16, 10:28 AM
You can not just lay new vinyl over old
Not to contradict but I have done it many times and never read in books I learned from it was wrong. I could understand for linoleum, especially for older installs that were not glued down but on well adhered smooth vinyl why?

Old 05-09-16, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I have installed the new vinyl-backed vinyl over old well-adhered vinyl many times. And NO, you do not perimeter glue a loose lay vinyl. It needs to float loose or it will wrinkle.

Old 05-09-16, 02:32 PM
Well, I'll stand corrected yet again it seems, Have always recommended to start with a perfectly smooth surface of either emboss leveler on old flooring or new plywood underlayment. While I have had limited installs with a cushioned vinyl, the one that I did install recommended perimeter glue albeit that was years ago and things may have changed.

Old 05-09-16, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You want to make this as easy as possible. Take the advice above and remove the toilet and vanity, as many obstructions as you can. Personally I would even remove the baseboard and replace it with new.
That said, the vanity might be able to stay in place. What you need is a template of the room after the toilet is out.
The template can be made out of stiff paper or strips of 1/8" plywood (door skin). If using the plywood strip method, hot-melt glue all corners and you can lift the template out in one piece or several sections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: