Vinyl tiles on particle board underlayment

Old 05-18-16, 06:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl tiles on particle board underlayment

I've had self stick vinyl tiles on particle board in three rooms for 20 + years.
Water heater leaked for several months in laundry room and soaked the floor. A handyman talked me into tearing up the particle board and replacing it with particle board - and charged me three times what a local licensed contractor did to replace the water heater.
I plan to put self stick vinyl tile again. Homeguides says "...vinyl tiles can be installed on it, provided the particleboard is sealed first.
Seal the particleboard well with a shellac sealer. Sealing is crucial with vinyl flooring because there is no grout between the tiles to prevent moisture from seeping through the installation and swelling the subfloor."

I called the contractor who put in the water heater and he doesn't think the vinyl tiles will stick to shellac. Some others think it's a good idea, others don't.

Any insights about this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-16, 06:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would never use particle board on a floor and that goes double for an area that might get wet. I'd say cover the particle board with quarter inch plywood. Best would be to tear it out and put in plywood. At least use sheet vinyl that at least will protect the particle board to some extent.

Old 05-19-16, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I seriously doubt he was able to obtain particle board. What he used what most likely OSB or Advantech. Can you post a picture of what he installed so we can see it? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-19-16, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, we need pictures. Could it be MDF?

Old 05-22-16, 11:14 PM
C
Re: Vinyl tiles on particle board

This is turning out to be a nightmare. Here's a pic of the particle board and one of the self stick tiles - that I can't find any more of.

Attached Images   
Old 05-23-16, 03:49 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Yes, you can still purchase particle board and it does look like that is what you have. I would think a coat of oil based primer would be enough to seal it and hope that you get another 20 years out of it. Now you know the weak link is the water heater. Is there a pan underneath it with drainage in the event of another leak (which will eventually happen). Purchase an extra box or two of tiles (they are relatively inexpensive) so they are available if you need to repair again down the road.

Old 05-23-16, 07:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I wonder what would possess someone who sees an inferior product in a potentially wet area to go and find the same inferior product and use it.

Old 05-23-16, 11:34 PM
C
Shoulda done it right the first time

I wish I had the same contractor do the floor. I know he would've done it right and at less than half the cost. Since I don't have a lot of money to play around with, I think I'll sell the pb and see if I can get the contractor to at least show me how to do the tiles right.
The water heater is in a very small closet. There's no room to even put a drain pan in there. I wonder if there are any alternatives.

Old 05-24-16, 12:55 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What size is the closet? .