Self-stick tile:have I finally lost it?

Old 10-06-16, 04:46 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Self-stick tile:have I finally lost it?

My home office presently has carpet and pad that needed replacing 15 years ago and is beyond disgusting. I need new flooring that will last another 5 or so years. Without going into a lot of detail, I've decided to go with a self-stick vinyl tile, possible carpet squares. My issue is that the underlayment is particleboard. It's from 1954 when the house was built, so I'm sure all the chemicals have leeched out by now. If I put down a bond enhancer recommended by the manufacturer, what would you guess my chances are of the tile staying put for 5 years or so? I know what I SHOULD do and the architect in me says "Have you lost your mind? Did you learn nothing in the last 40 years?!!". But to move everything and put down new underlayment overlay would shut me down for several days.

Thoughts??

Old 10-06-16, 04:58 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'd install laminate before I'd use peel and stick tiles.

Old 10-06-16, 05:29 AM
B
Laminate was my first choice too, but the wife HATES laminate. But's OK with tile. After 34 years, I still don't get her! So tile it is.

Old 10-06-16, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I've seen some selfstick stay stuck, most tends to peel loose within a year or so
I'd be concerned that your chair movement would be problematic with the selfstick tile.

What is her reasoning to prefer selfstick over laminate

Old 10-06-16, 06:10 AM
B
I'm assuming that I would get the chair pads made for hard surfaces, similar to what's used over carpet. As to why she prefers the self-stick: because she can. But I haven't given up yet, just in research mode now for tile like she wants.

I wonder if a regular vinyl tile using a conventional spread adhesive would stand a better chance of staying put. Frankly, I have no experience at all with peel and stick; all our projects with VCT used an adhesive.

Old 10-06-16, 06:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used the vinyl tiles and adhesive before with good results although I've never laid any directly over PB.

Old 10-06-16, 06:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Peel and stick over particle board. Forget about it.

Old 10-06-16, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As Mark stated, the Allure type of vinyl planks makes a great floor. Peel and stick and laminate are dumpster decorations.

Old 10-06-16, 03:11 PM
B
I've given up on peel& stick tiles and I think I've convinced the wife it won't work.

I've actually been looking at Allure with the GripStrip on the Home Depot site. The online reports are pretty positive, so I'm going to run over there in the next few days so I can actually put my hands on it. Then there's no worries about the particle board. Still plenty of time to plan, as I have a couple outdoor projects to finish up before the snow flies.

Old 10-08-16, 03:44 AM
B
I was at Home Depot yesterday and looked at the Allure vinyl planks they had on display. I was fairly impressed with the appearance and liked that it had a texture of sorts; a little more non-slip if it gets wet. I think I'll go back Monday and talk to a sales person to see if I can have/buy a couple planks from an open box that was there to take home and play with. I'm especially interested in how well the adhesive seams hold together and how scratch resistant it is to dog toenails. I also have a feeling I'm going to need chair mats where the office chairs are used.

Old 10-08-16, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't speak for how the vinyl wears under the chair but I have hardwood in my office. I was hard headed and refused to buy a mat - and I wound up freshing up the poly [and buying a mat] after a couple of years. That was over 10 yrs ago and the floor finish still looks great!

Old 10-08-16, 07:03 PM
B
I was able to sweet-talk Home Depot into parting with a 36" long vinyl plank of Allure from a damaged box. I cut it into thirds and stuck the pieces together. Now I have a piece I can play with, test the seam strength and scratch resistance, etc. I'm always hesitant to try something new that hasn't been around for a lot of years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: