underlayment for peel and stick vinyl tile for "genkan"

Old 10-07-16, 10:38 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
underlayment for peel and stick vinyl tile for "genkan"

Hi, I want to make a "genkan" / parking area to store my bicycle inside. no-shoes-inside house

Hardwood floors but cannot stick tile directly (renter). genkan area will be about 2 x 9 feet so that i'll be able to roll my heavy bicycle inside instead of awkwardly carrying her.

What is the best underlayment that will not damage the hardwood floors, be thin/low profile and the peel and stick tiles will STICK to?

underlayment options:

1) muslin/cotton fabric
2) 4 mil plastic
3) polypropylene ( surgical instrument wraps)
4) 1/8" cork underlayment

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-16, 11:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd say none of the above except maybe 4 mil plastic or cork. Never tried it but my thought would be to buy a yard of sheet vinyl at Big box or look for a bin of left over or damaged pieces scrapscrap vinyl. Most bigbox home stores usually have them. To protect the floor more glue a piece of thin carpet pad or cork to the back of the vinyl. Just a few dabs of silicone here and there. If the vinyl has a curve that won't lay flat maybe try gluing heavy card board to it. Just untried thoughts

Last edited by ray2047; 10-08-16 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-08-16, 03:32 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
We show and breed dogs (Cavaliers) and have a couple litters a year. When the puppies move out to the living room with hardwood floors, we put down a piece of sheet vinyl on the floor where the x-pen sits. To keep the edges from curling up, roll it up for a couple hours with the pattern facing out. Then lay it down where you want it and it'll flatten out in no time. If you spill anything that can possibly go under the vinyl, be sure to clean it up and dry it right away or it will leave a mark if left too long.