Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Peel and stick flooring for tiny basement bathroom that has old tile down

Old 03-28-18, 07:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Wanted to jazz up this old basement bathroom that has old tile from "who knows when" in this 1971 built house. I think the tile that's down is vinyl or something, but it's old fashioned. I bought this "cheap" 89c tile that I like at HD.

Any tips for putting this stuff down. Just clean the old floor good and dry, etc? Is peel and stick ok? I might have about 4x4 bathroom space to do and that's it.

The 89cent tile is below.

Attached Images   
Old 03-29-18, 08:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Peel and stick does not adhere well under ideal circumstances, I really doubt it's going to work over other vinyl. Given that it's a small space, I would peel up the vinyl and go pick out some ceramic tile you like. Report back with a summary of the layers of your subfloor and the size, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists and we'll walk you through tiling the room instead.

Old 03-29-18, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
There is a bonding agent that you can paint on the floor that will help some but the bonding agent will cost more than your flooring. Sheet vinyl might be a better option. For a room so small a remnant or scrap would be enough.

If those peel and stick are the way you want to go then I'd thoroughly clean and de-grease the old floor with alcohol, lacquer thinner or MEK. If you use lacquer thinner or MEK move quickly as the solvent may soften the old tile. Then stick down your new tile. After it's all down try as best you can to press it down. They make heavy roller for the job but if you can step on every bit of the new tile will all your weight on one foot would help.

Old 03-29-18, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
After you clean the floor, put a very, very thin coat of multi-purpose adhesive on the floor.
Use the back side of an adhesive trowel, the side with no teeth. It will help the peel & stick adhere to the old tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: