Vinyl plank flooring installation question

Old 03-16-19, 05:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl plank flooring installation question

Hi, I am installing EVP in my basement. I have the vapor barrier and pad installed and I'm just starting to install the planks. The first row went in well, but I am having problems with the second row. If I get a good tight lock between the first and second row planks, the two rows end up "wobbling" or rocking at the seam between the rows. If I don't get a tight lock and there is a small gap between the rows, they sit flat just fine. It seems so easy to do, and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for your time!

Old 03-16-19, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Check to see if the planks are flat or are warped. Vinyl needs to be stored perfectly flat of your pieces bow and won't lock. If it's warped, try another piece. Also look for debris in the groove. Additionally, there could be a dip or hump on the floor. The flooring has specs for how flat the floor must be.

Sometimes you need 3 hands and a rubber mallet to get it to lock and lay down... just depends.

davic406 voted this post useful.
Old 03-16-19, 07:27 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So I noticed that this issue only happens because I am placing the 2nd row plank overlapping 2 planks in the 1st row (staggering the location of the seams)

If I don't stagger the seams from one row to another, the planks lock in perfectly, but I know they are not supposed to be installed that way. I'll be checking with lumber liquidators today.

Old 03-16-19, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like the pieces in the first row are not straight with each other but that they are sitting cockeyed or maybe they are moving on you. Everything needs to be arrow straight. You typically need to shim the gap between the wall and the first piece every 16" or so to make sure it is gapped properly and doesn't move as you assemble the floor. And you start laying the floor based off a chalkline that you snap on the floor. All that should be in your instructions.

Old 03-16-19, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Lumber Liquidators sell a lot of 2nds and defective product, That could be your problem.

Old 03-16-19, 05:22 PM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
i put in a vinyl floor in my bathroom a few years back. It was an early product and really didn't fit right, so I had to persuade it to lock together. A while later, it started coming apart, so I ripped it out and put sheet vinyl flooring. I think the newer vinyl laminate is much improved tho.

Old 03-16-19, 08:32 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, a not so straight first row is your issue. If you have a 4 ft straight edge, you can check for proper alignment prior to attempting to install the second row. As previously mentioned, the first row needs to be straight, locked in place with shims along the wall. That should solve your issues. Subsequent rows once the first two are aligned should be a little smoother.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: