Asbestos Problem

Old 05-06-19, 09:31 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos Problem

Took up carpet in new home to my brother to find 9X9 tiles with a little unevenness in the floor of basement with 6 1/2 foot ceilings. Did not want to add plywood because we did not want to raise the floor and or attach to possible asbestos tiles and concrete with screws. Put down waterproof click together flooring. A few spots will not stay connected when walked on based on the unevenness. What is the best options. Thank you

Old 05-06-19, 10:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
Click lock flooring is not a good choice where the floor is uneven or there is movement. I don't know if there is much you can do with the finished floor unless you address the uneven subfloor. A solid sheet vinyl intended for wet locations might have been my pick if leaving the floor uneven. If you want to save the floor you have you can remove the click lock and level out the floor underneath a bit. I have had good results using carpet adhesive.

Clean the underlying floor well. Then trowel out carpet adhesive into the low areas and let it dry. You can also try one of the floor leveling compounds designed for the job. Then with the worst of the low spots filled re-install your click lock flooring.

Old 05-06-19, 03:11 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you we will see if we can get it worked out. If it fails, do you know the name of the plank flooring that comes together with one strip of adhesive between planks but is actually flexible and not attached to the subfloor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: