LVP To Hardwood Transition

Old 03-26-23, 04:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LVP To Hardwood Transition

Hello, I am installing Mohawk Uniclic LVP plank flooring in my bathroom remodel. Ideally, I'd like to install it right up against the hardwood in the hallway outside the door so I won't have a gap or a threshold. That's how the tile I pulled up was installed and it was really nice. This bathroom is pretty large (11.5' x 14'), so I image that makes the expansion gap around the perimeter more important.

Is it possible to have no gap at the door with a floating floor or will I have to leave a gap and use a threshold piece?

Old 03-26-23, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You leave a gap and use a threshold / transition. A floating floor can move in any direction, and without a transition it might migrate and leave a gap... it's also not a spot you would caulk, as you would do when you butt it against a tub. (The tub is typically the only thing you'd put the flooring closely against... as long as it's free to expand in 3 directions it should be okay.)

Old 03-26-23, 05:17 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
If the wood floor happens to be a little taller than the LVT, you could undercut the wood so the LVT can slide under it. Undercut it enough so there is still space for the LVT to move under the lip.

Otherwise you'll need to use a transition.

Old 03-27-23, 05:52 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, it looks like I'll need to get a threshold.

What about around my corner shower? My hope was to fit it tight enough to just caulk the gap. The radiused corner of the shower pan will make adding trim difficult. Is just caulking this edge possible?

Old 03-27-23, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Shower, tub, same difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: