Best Practices in Repair of Rolled Vinyl Floor.

Old 04-25-23, 01:07 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Best Practices in Repair of Rolled Vinyl Floor.

Our house has rolled vinyl in all but the bedrooms. Thanks to a ladder collapsing with yours truly on top of it, the vinyl in the hallway has two torn spots that need repair. (See below, two spots just like this)

I think I can order some of this identical vinyl, but my problem is how to install.
a) Cut out the square area around the holes and glue in the replacement piece, matching the pattern.
or
b) Replacing a stripe across the hallway encompassing both holes.

And in addition, what is the best glue for such projects? How do I keep the corners from popping up later? I've done rolled vinyl but never a repair.

What is the best practice here? (Ok, I know the best practice would probably be to replace the whole hallway, but our finances won't let that happen. )

Old 04-25-23, 01:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,953 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Traditionally you might cut out squares in the damaged area but I like your idea of doing a whole section across the width of the hallway. That would make the seams "normal". A couple squares in the middle will definetely look like a repair and each patch leaves four pointy corners that are more difficult to stay stuck down. Doing a strip across the hall leaves a straight seam which is more commonly seen and won't be viewed so much as a repair and no difficult outside corners to stick down.

I've done similar repairs with vinyl flooring adhesive. I trowel out the glue according to the instructions and roll the seam with a seam roller. With straight seams you probably don't need seam sealer but it wouldn't hurt.

Marvinator voted this post useful.
Old 04-25-23, 01:37 PM
M
thanks. this is a hallway with two long seams going across the hallway, so I think a seam sealer is in order. My wife and I are both older, and I don't want her tripping over a seam if I can help it.
THANKS for the input.

Old 04-26-23, 04:16 AM
Received 1,209 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
this is a hallway with two long seams going across the hallway,
If material is available then just replace an entire section going to, or past, the existing seams, don't add additional seams.

Old 04-26-23, 06:18 AM
B
Received 259 Upvotes on 231 Posts
Suggest first trying gluing the torn part down using something like HH-66 Vinyl Cement. Make sure torn part lays flush before gluing. Place flat piece of wood over the patch with a brick on top. Cover the side of the wood piece making contact with the vinyl with something like vaseline to prevent torn part from attaching and lifting when removing wood piece.

Old 04-26-23, 08:16 AM
M
@beelzebob I've not used HH-66 and looking it up, it appears to be more for connecting two vinyl pieces than reattaching flooring which has come apart. The backing is not vinyl, but the idea of gluing down the ripped pieces in certainly worth considering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: