Stair covering options

Old 12-05-23, 03:48 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Stair covering options

I am planning on tearing out the carpet in a lower level walkout and installing LVP. That part is pretty straightforward. Where I need ideas is the stair up to the main level. That would be easy too, as I could use the coordinating stair tread/risers; expensive, but oh well. Where I am not sure what to do is at a 3' x 3' landing at the L-shape stair. From the lower level, I go up 2 risers, turn 90 degrees, then go up another 12 risers.

I need options help please!

Old 12-05-23, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,256 Upvotes on 2,009 Posts
If you are doing LVP on the lower level and the stairs why do something different for the small landing?

Old 12-05-23, 04:54 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Yes, I can do LVP (it's loose laid) on the landing, but then what about the nosing on the landing? I thought about cutting off the nosing of a tread/riser and butting it to the LVP, but the chances of the thickness matching is probably pretty remote. Also thought of an aluminum nosing, but that adds another material in that doesn't match the rest of the stairs. Also thought about LVP treads and risers held in place with some kind of trim at the perimeter, but there's the nosing problem again.

When I was working as an architect, I did almost all commercial buildings with straight run stairs, so it was easy with tread/riser combinations. For the life of me I don't recall what I did on landings. I seem to recall VCT on landings with complimentary nosings, but again another material. Maybe my options are just plain that limited. It was so rare that I designed residential.

Last edited by Bruce H; 12-05-23 at 05:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: