Floating floor on slightly uneven concrete????

Old 02-11-16, 07:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floating floor on slightly uneven concrete????

Ok so long story short. Finishing my basement on a ranch house built in 1964. Decided to do stained and sealed concrete floors. The sealer didnt cure right for whatever reason and the company refunded my money. So now I am wanting to do a floating laminate floor or tile. My question is, there are a few cracks in the concrete floor. And when I put a 4 foot level on the worst one, the level teeters on the crack about 1/4 inch. Is this going to be a problem after the floor is installed? Should I use a thicker flooring and padding to try and compensate for the concrete? I attached a pic of the floor in it current state.

My other option would be to scrap off the sealer and do a wood looking ceramic tile.

Thoughts?

Name:  7fe37ce9-e204-4913-a156-ba4d5e5f5f08.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  20.8 KB

Old 02-11-16, 07:07 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
#1, I would not even use laminate in a basement due to possible moisture issues.
1/4" out of flat is going to be a big issue, the seams would flex and come unlocked.
#2, Tiles not going to work unless you grind off all the old sealer.
Considered engineered flooring installed as a floating floor?
I'd finish the ceiling and walls before installing any type of flooring.

Old 02-11-16, 07:18 AM
S
Yes I am going to finish everything before the floors go in. There is ZERO water or moisture issues with my basement. My sump pit is always bone dry. I was actually looking at a floating floor that is some type of vinyl. Completely waterproof.

Also, the sealer and stain will actually peel up. So if i tile it, thats what i will have to do.

So should I peel up the sealer and tile?

Old 02-11-16, 08:15 AM
S
Wood ceramic tile over slightly uneven concrete floor?

Ok so long story short. Finishing my basement on a ranch house built in 1964. Decided to do stained and sealed concrete floors. The sealer didnt cure right for whatever reason and the company refunded my money. So now I am wanting to do wood looking ceramic tile planks. My question is, there are a few cracks in the concrete floor. And when I put a 4 foot level on the worst one, the level teeters on the crack about 1/4 inch. Is this going to be a problem? Can i compensate for the unevenness with thin set?

Thoughts?

I attached a picture of the floor in its current state. I know I will have to scrape off the sealer before I tile and I will be tiling after the walls are done.

Thanks
Name:  477ac91c-448e-4f59-8c07-ae58db15b8d8.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 02-11-16, 08:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I've merged your two threads, please keep all questions around one topic in one thread to ensure all participants are seeing all of the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: