Subfloor Specifics

Old 02-13-16, 08:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subfloor Specifics

This type of question has been asked and answered frequently, but with so many variables, I just want to be clear.

In another post, I mentioned I was sistering all of my floor joists because of a serious slope. Finished that up last weekend. (Thanks for the help.)

I have original 2x10 joists, all sistered with new 2x10s, blocked at the ends and in the middle. The OC spacing of the joists, with the sistering, is now between 12 and 15" across the room. The joist span between foundation wall and support beam is 13.5'. The joist span in the room I'll be tiling is 8.5'. The sistering was only the portions of the joists in the room I'm working on. The sister boards do not extend under the wall.

I plan to use ceramic tile.

The transition height between bathroom and hallway is where I have questions.

3/4" ply + 1/2" ply + 1/8" ditra + 1/2" mortar and tile = 1 7/8" transition.

Bigger than I'd like, but I can live with it if I make an appropriate transition piece.

But is there anyway I can cut this height down? Given the particulars of the room, could I install 3/4" ply and then just the Ditra and tile?

Also, I plan to use 3/4" Tongue and Groove.

Lastly, please correct me if my assumption that Ditra only adds an 1/8"

Like I said, would prefer the big transition to a questionable floor system.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-16, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Based on your measurements you will only have a 1/8" transition, which should be acceptable. 3/4" T&G and builder's felt will make it slightly over 3/4", and your tile flooring appears only to take up 5/8", provided all your subflooring is the same. You didn't indicate it was different.

Old 02-13-16, 02:31 PM
L
I shouldve been more clear. The slope in the house is towards the hallway. I leveled the floor in the bathroom with the sistered joists. So now when I build up the new subfloor, it will be higher than the finished floor in the hallway.

Old 02-14-16, 03:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is normal to install a threshold under the door at the transition to the hallway. I use a marble 2" wide one, usually it is slightly thicker than the tile but beveled on both sides. It comes in multiple thicknesses. But again, a transition in height is normal and common.

Old 02-14-16, 06:44 AM
L
Yeah, I get that. I've got height transitions in other parts of my house. Nearly 2" is a little more than I was anticipating, but I can live with it.

I was just wondering if there was a way I could decrease it some.

Czizzi where do you get that marble transition?

Old 02-14-16, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I don't understand a 2" transition. Where does that come in?

Old 02-14-16, 06:56 AM
L
The house sagged in the middle about 1 3/4". I tore up the floor in the bathroom and sistered the joists so that they were level, but I did not change the floor in the hallway. So now, the bathroom is level, but its higher than the hallway.

The sistered joists are about even with the finished floor in the hallway. So when I build up the floor in the bathroom, it will be about 1 7/8" higher than the hallway.

Old 02-14-16, 06:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
where do you get that marble transition?
Go to tile stores or tile distributors, many carry them in stock and in various sizes. Sometimes the big box stores have them mixed in with the tiles, however, they often are broken so I don't go there. Treat them as the natural stone they are - in a safe place until you install. Once installed, they will last forever. Keep in mind that if you go with a white threshold, you need a white thinset underneath it. Sometimes the darker thinsets will bleed through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: