Advice for corner shelves and foot shelf in a new tiled shower

Old 04-22-16, 09:44 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice for corner shelves and foot shelf in a new tiled shower

I've got a contractor doing this work, but really like the great advice I get here. I've got questions on the 'right' way to do some things. I've gotten referrals from friends on this contractor, but have loads of self doubt / wondering if we are doing things different than the other people and want to avoid problems down the road (I'd have gone much simpler in the design but my wife wanted fancier things...

We're doing a bath redo - took it down to the studs, custom shower, etc. They are putting up the wonder board (concrete board). They used greenboard from 5' up in the shower and all in the bathroom (only the shower will be tiled). I would have thought wonderboard all the way in the shower but they say that the upper areas of the shower aren't getting wet. Your thoughts?

A bigger issue - I picked up 3 triangles of quartz from the company that will do the vanity countertop later. These 3 triangles are supposed to be shelves in the shower. 2 are 3/4" thick and not all that heavy. another that my wife wants as a foot shelf to put her foot on when shaving is heavy - 1 1/8" thicker and larger dimensions.

I was asking the supplier and they talked about cutting into the wonderboard / studs. They mentioned how they don't like when people use silicone caulk against the wonderboard (no cutting of the wonderboard / notching the studs. This thing weighs too much on its own for me to think that would be viable but they say it works but doesn't support enough weight. How would you install a corner shelf?

These are flat surface pieces of quartz. So while I would think you want it pitched to drain water, the bottles would slide off. But if they are horizontal / any pitch towards the wall, the water will be up against the grout / wall and if not work its way into the wall, will be more prone to mold?

Am I overthinking all this? I am of the 'keep it simple' mindset. I'd have the bottles of shampoo on the floor and a wooden stool for shaving / putting her foot up.

Is that foot shelf / seat too thick?

Are there 'standards' on the height for the foot shelf? and the other shelves?

THANKS!

Old 04-23-16, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Cement board should go all the way up in the shower! While drywall is ok at the top I fail to see the reasoning for not using cement board to the top of the tile in the shower. At 5' it might be ok but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 04-23-16, 06:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Are you having a bench installed? I would trust that over a shelf hung in the corner. I have matching tile pieces that I cut in a semicircular triangle in my shower at my rental cabin and they are rock solid, even though they are only held in place along the back edges and embedded in the tile. I would NOT trust anything like what you have for a foot rest. Too much weight can be inadvertently applied and it could come loose causing more problems than it is worth.

Any niche area or shelf should be sealed at the CBU point with Redgard anyway to prevent water infiltration, so splashed water won't be a problem.

The height of the shelves would be to your liking. Nothing standard. The foot rest (if you insist on having it) should be about 17" AFF, just like a bench.

Name:  DSCF0596.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  29.4 KB

Old 04-23-16, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
I would think the corner shelf would work fine as a foot rest as long as it was set with 1/4" of slope and was sitting on top of the cut edge of the wall tile.

Old 04-23-16, 06:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I do believe mine would, too, but I question the weight and thickness of the OP's corner pieces. Seems as if 1 1/8" may be a bit too thick and heavy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: