Tiles pulling waterproof membrane away from wall. Help?

Old 05-06-16, 02:11 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiles pulling waterproof membrane away from wall. Help?

So, retiling my shower. We've applied waterproof membrane and everything was looking great, until it came to tiling. When we started, we noticed in one place it was blistering away from the wall, although not too much so we thought as we were using large tiles it wouldn't be too problematic. Turns out the tiles looked a bit of a mess and were 'squishy', so we pulled them off ( they'd only been up about 5 minutes) to find a large section of the waterproof membrane came away from the wall with it.

My assumption here is that maybe the glue underneath hasn't dried properly despite the fact it was left for a couple days. How do I remedy this? Both the glue not drying and the fact that we've now got a massive section where the membrane isn't fully attached to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-16, 05:54 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
What glue?
What did you use to waterproof it?
You going over tile board not just sheetrock, right?
Should be using thin set in a wet area not mastic.

Old 05-06-16, 07:52 PM
J
Mac,

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say. No way for anyone to help when you give no info of what you're doing and what materials you're using. However, you use the word "glue" which indicates to us you're using mastic.

You said these tiles had been up for 5 minutes, but then said they were left to dry for a couple days.

How about you try xplaining this again, but this time tell us what specific materials you have too.

Jaz

Old 05-06-16, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
Sounds like the tile was up for 5 minutes and started pulling the membrane away... while the membrane had been on for days. Yeah, would help to know what membrane was used and what sort of adhesive was used for the membrane, and what you are using to set the tile.

Old 05-07-16, 12:48 PM
J
Yes, right, Sleeper.

I think I have a good idea what's going on, but need to hear it from Mac.

Jaz