Baseboard Installation

Old 06-01-16, 08:49 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard Installation

Have a question about baseboard installation. I am replacing both carpet and tile in my house. I am removing all carpet and tile, installing baseboard, and the contractor in installing both carpet and tile. My question do I install the base pre or post flooring install? If pre, do I leave a 3/8" gap between the sub floor and the base? My sub floor is concrete.

My plan right now is to install the base before the floors and leave a 3/8" gap. The tile is 9mm thick.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-16, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
Personally, I prefer to install the base first, then let them grout up to it. Shim the base up as needed so that it isn't buried deep. Color matched caulk (matched to grout) is sometimes needed where they meet since the wood and grout will expand and contract slightly, leaving a crack.

Old 06-01-16, 09:15 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Welcome to the best DIY forum on the Internet!

Baseboards are commonly installer prior to carpet but I have not heard of them being installed prior to tile. The amount they should be raised above the subfloor would depend upon the thickness of the finished floor.

Best to ask your contractor.

Old 06-01-16, 09:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I often see base installed prior to tile install. Shoe mold is used to hide any discrepancies. With carpet the base is often raised 1/2" but a low pile carpet would need less - best to ask the carpet supplier/installer first.

Old 06-01-16, 10:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'm with Furd in that I would install the baseboard 1/2" above the floor prior to carpet but would install it after the tile was laid. I would also be ready with plinth blocks in the (likely) event the baseboards do not come out even between the two surfaces.

Old 06-01-16, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Baseboard is not supposed to be raised with carpet but most GCs don't know it.