Removing mosaic tiles from shower niche box?

Old 07-16-16, 02:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing mosaic tiles from shower niche box?

I have a couple of small niche boxes in the shower that we have recently begun renovating. We have just installed the mosaic tiles with mortar, but have not put in the grout.

Now, here comes the wife and she doesn't like the look of the mosaic tiles.
She wants to rip out the mosaic tiles and put in a different tile.

How do I rip out these small little mosaic tiles from the niche box? Here is a similar picture. It seems like it would be difficult to get these little tiles out, especially the mosaic tiles from the bottom smaller soap niche area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68505[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-16, 04:50 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Start at the middle and get one out, it will come out in pieces. Then using a chisel, your can pop the others out one at a time. It will not come out in a sheet but piece by piece. The fact that you did not grout will make it easier.

An oscillating tool with scraper blade may help with the edge pieces to shave the mortar behind. Worst case, you have to buy some more bullnose and redo the trim around the box as well.

Old 07-17-16, 07:38 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
I'd consider tiling right over them before I'd go to all that work of removing them.

Old 07-18-16, 11:53 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey guys. Thanks for your advice. I just got done with this. Wow! It was a real pain in the behind. The technique suggested by czizzi is the only way to go. It's a little difficult starting out getting the first few pieces out from the center, but it does get a little bit easier once you get some of those center pieces out and have more room to remove the outer pieces.