Tiling when sheetrock wall doesn't reach floor

Old 07-31-16, 10:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling when sheetrock wall doesn't reach floor

Hi folks,

First time tiler here :-) I'm tiling our bathroom and have ripped up all the old ceramic tile. Underneath appears to be 3/4" plywood with 1/2" plywood on top. From what I've read, I can install right on top of that without any backer board.

My question is that in a lot of areas, the Sheetrock wall doesn't reach the wood floor. I'm assuming that the floor has settled over time. I'm some areas it's about 1/4", and more in other areas. See attached pictures.

Do I need to fill these gaps with sheetrock so I can tile against it? I'm assuming I shouldn't slide the new floor tile under the sheetrock wall, right?

Thanks!

Hopefully you can see these four pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/YyKURPFgyuFZpPjv8
Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  b3.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  39.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-31-16 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added pics from link
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-16, 11:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Try this for your pictures. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Not sure where you read that you can install tile directly on plywood, but it will be a disaster if you do it. 1/4" cbu is needed or a product like Ditra.

Do you have plans on installing baseboard after the tile job? If so, the base will cover any cracks between the tile and the sheetrock. Sheetrock almost never reaches all the way to the floor if properly installed from the ceiling down.

We'll wait on your pictures.

Old 07-31-16, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
Google pictures can be a pain to hotlink to.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-31-16 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-16, 12:55 PM
Thanks Pete. John, it looks as if there was Ditra on the floor previously. Or was it linoleum/vinyl flooring? Baseboard will cover all the boogers along the bottom of the wall. That's its job.

Old 07-31-16, 12:59 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Or use cove tile instead of baseboard. I like it in a bathroom as it is not bothered by a little water on the floor, or by mopping, both of which can be hard on wooden baseboard. More work to install however....

Old 07-31-16, 06:52 PM
J
Thanks guys! Hopefully you can see the pictures in my first post now, let me know if you can't.

Originally there was ceramic tile on the floor. I'm no expert by any means, but it just looked like it was typical thin set underneath the ceramic, although it's been there for about 25 years. I guess I was just going to duplicate what I saw, and just go right over the plywood like it was.

Old 07-31-16, 07:03 PM
Don't. Do it right and use an underlayment such as Ditra of Durock or Hardiebacker in 1/4". You didn't have a rough time removing the tile, did you? Use the proper underlayment and you will spend a short eternity removing it.

Old 08-01-16, 08:05 AM
J
Ok, thanks...off to get 1/4" Hardibacker I go! Two more questions (I hope):

1. Before I removed the tile, the toilet flange was on top of the existing tile (here's a link to a pictures of it). If I install 1/4" Hardibacker, I'm assuming that will fill the current gap between the wood subfloor and the flange. Will I need to install one of those flange extensions so the flange will sit on top of the tile after I install it?

2. Since the sheetrock walls don't reach the floor in a lot of areas, do I push the hardibacker under the sheetrock wall? Or do I go up to the wall as if the wall was extended all the way down to the floor?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-16, 05:53 PM
1) If the new tile will be flush with the flange, you will be fine. Above it a little is also fine. If you do decide to install a flange extension, make sure you silicone it to the flange before you screw it down. Don't want any leaks.
2) You don't need to push the hardiebacker under the wall. Flush will be fine since your tile will go wall to wall. If you decide to use the sanitary cove tiles Paul mentioned, they will cover it all up.