Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to tiling for a daylight basement with concrete floor

Old 08-10-16, 09:59 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if there are any alternatives to tiling a concrete floor in a daylight basement. The floor is exceptionally stable and dry as long as we keep water away from the house (i.e. surface runoff). We just pulled up our worn-out carpet after having a sprinkler run all night against the wall. No big loss but I don't want to go through that again with carpeting. The concrete underneath is clean and stable but has some residual glue (from the original 1940's "square lineoleum style tile or whatever it was they used back then) and splattered paint. It also looks like it has some kind of red stain on it (matches the back patio that was all part of the same pour).

So far, the only options I can think of are tile (ceramic, laminate, etc.). We have stick-on tile on the utility room next door which has also gotten wet from surface run-off which seems to hold up just fine but we don't want that ideally in the family room. I am wondering if there some kind of expoxy flooring that would take over the existing "crud" or maybe after the crud was cleaned or some other type of synthetic floor that would dry out easily if it got wet.

I don't necessarily need a detailed explanation; just a point in the right direction.

Thanks,
BB

Old 08-10-16, 10:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Epoxy could be done if you want a factory floor or aircraft hangar look. Most likely the floor will have to be ground before doing the epoxy so that will up the difficulty and expense.

Carpet is probably the easiest and can be one of the least expensive options. It will deaden sound and cut down on basement echos while making the floor warmer under foot. But, as you've already found out it may have to be replaced if the basement gets wet.

There are also carpet squares commonly used in commercial applications. This would give you the option of only replacing the carpet that got damaged. Of course you'll have to buy and store the replacement squares if you want any hope of a good match.

There are several garage flooring options like vinyl roll out mats and plastic grids. They are durable and available in a variety of colors. The look might work for a "man cave" but isn't warm and cozy for a family room.

You could paint the floor. Cheap and simple but you'd just have a painted concrete floor. It might be OK if you put some area rugs down.

You could have the concrete ground/polished. Then you'd have the option of clear coating or staining it. This is a popular look in some hip/modern restaurants and shops.

Old 08-10-16, 11:15 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Luxury vinyl planks are another reasonable option. There are glue down and floating varieties. Can look a lot nicer than old style vinyl tile....

Old 08-11-16, 02:44 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks all, I will investigate those.

BB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: