Bathroom renovations

Old 08-20-16, 08:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom renovations

Hello, new homeowner trying to do some renovations to our home. Looking to redo the bathroom and while pulling up the laminate on the floors noticed that on top of the subfloor is particle board and not just in this bathroom but in every room of the house. The worse part is the particle board runs underneath the walls throughout the house. My wife and I wanted to do a ceramic tile in the bathroom and researching online I know you can't tile over PB. What would be the best suggesting for putting tile down with out ripping up the PB? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-20-16, 08:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd cut the PB at the wall and rip it up. I'd follow that plan with each rm I remodeled. You'd still have PB under the studs but at least most of it would eventually be gone.

Old 08-20-16, 10:00 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm assuming your home is old enough that the PB you speak of is not Advantech, which I believe could be used under tile, but I'm not certain.

Then there is osb and the older pressed sawdust, which I also have and am replacing. I'm fortunate that most of mine was added after the walls so comes out easily.

To cut close to the walls I ground down the end of a sawsall blade so ir curved upward. Then by holding it at a shallow angle it would close to the wall without the point kicking back, but be careful. When I installed the new plywood I applied construction adhesive against those bottom plates and cut edges.

I had to laugh the other day when I looked at a piece of that particle board I had tossed into the pile headed for the dump. It was 5/8" and now closer to 1.5" from the rain.

Bud

Old 08-20-16, 11:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cutting the PB is not that bad. If you score it with a recip saw along the walls, then cut it into smaller pieces than the 4x8 as they were originally with a circle saw set at 5/8", you can pop the PB upward and it will break just like sheetrock. The middle pieces you can pry up individually. I would replace the PB with 3/4" Advantech, then 1/4" cbu embedded in thinset, then tile away.

Old 09-10-16, 06:10 AM
D
Ripped all of the PB out and replaced it with plywood. Wanting to lay my backer board down. Have a question on that as well, when cutting out the PB i wasn't able to cut it completely flush with the wall so the the Backer Board my lay on some of the old PB right at the wall. Is this OK or should i just lay it up to the PB. Also where the new floor is and some of the old PB is, the floor is not completely level with each other. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-10-16, 06:37 AM
How close to the wall is your cut? Is the PB lower than the plywood/Advantech?

Old 09-10-16, 07:07 AM
D
the pb is about 1/4 past the wall. In places it is even but in other places the PB is much higher.

Old 09-10-16, 07:19 AM
Then you didn't lay in 3/4" subflooring as suggested, as 3/4" is taller than 5/8" which is the nominal thickness of PB. I would try to chisel out the PB to the level of your subflooring to where it is even. Then you can run the cbu over it all. Where the PB is lower than the subflooring it won't matter. Higher PB will cause problems if it is too high. Remember you will be embedding the cbu in thinset, so that can take up a little space, but I would recommend having a flat floor.

Old 09-10-16, 07:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've seen 5/8" PB swell up to/past 1" thickness when damaged by water.

Old 09-10-16, 04:03 PM
Yeah, forgot about the swelling thingy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: