DIY very small tiling job

Old 08-22-16, 12:36 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY very small tiling job

Hi Guys

I have done a nice bit of DIY on my house, painting / ceiling lights etc but have always used a tradesman for tiling and timber floors

However i have a stove area in my living room where we have an electric stove .At the moment its just a plastered area with limestone on the bottom. I want to tile the floor using tiles i already have (i reckon a couple of tiles will suffice) and then i want to put one of these on top

Heat Design - Staggered Oyster Slate Chamber.

I have zero tiling experience and knowledge but i do know this is a tiny job and would be difficult to even get a tiler to do so i want to try myself. I have a good few tiles so can make mistakes

1. How do i begin :-)
2. I presume i will have to remove the cream timber lip around the outside
3. I put the tiles down first and the chamber down on top or do i put chamber in first and then tile up to it ?
4. Stove area is standard size but if its out a little bit, i will have to cut the chamber ?
5. should i put full tiles at outside of area and if i have to cut then put them ones at the back ?

I would really appreciate any help you can give me here. If this jobs is tricky then please just say get a tradesman but i am fairly handy and i reckon this is easy??

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-16, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Will the final stove be wood fired? If so, it may not work in the alcove that you have. What are the walls and ceiling made of? Where is the exhaust located? The 2" cap blocks on the floor will need to be secured to the substrate with thinset or comparable adhesive to keep them from moving. I would recommend a 1/4" solid layer of Durock adhered to the block with thinset, if for no other reason than to make the base solid with no cracks to prevent the tile from cracking. All the combustible material to the side and above this unit will need to be removed, replaced with Durock and tiled or stoned, so really if you are planning a fire breathing dragon in there, it won't work.

Old 08-22-16, 03:43 AM
G
the electric stove is the final stove.

just need info on the tiling and the chamber install

Old 08-22-16, 03:56 AM
G
just came across this

Barley Slate Chamber Hearth

I can just use this instead of the tiles and put the chamber on top ?

Old 08-22-16, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It may fit your opening, but the wings will be suspended in mid air unless you make plans for it. Similar products, I am sure, will come to light that you can use in the alcove instead of the blocks and tiling. Google is your friend. Let us know if we can help further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: