Tiling On Concrete Slab

Old 08-22-16, 11:46 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling On Concrete Slab

I am planning to replace some carpet throughout my home with tile and wanted some input on whether or not to use an underlayment (Ditra). I live in SW Florida, so the home is built on a concrete slab on a whole bunch of sand. The home was built about a year and a half ago but by the time I do flooring the home will probably be about two years old.

My question is whether it is necessary to use the underlayment? I'll be tiling approx. 1,000 sq/ft so avoiding that $2,000 expense would help tremendously. There was a crack that fed in from the garage into the laundry room and just caused the grout to crack around the tiles, not the tiles themselves, which was an easy fix.

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-16, 01:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You don't need to use CBU on concrete. If you have a spiderweb of cracks, then Ditra is a good way of having a membrane to keep it all together. One crack does not make a bad floor, necessarily, but, as you have seen can cause a problem with grout. Check for flatness of the concrete to ensure there are no pitfalls in it that could cause tiles to not sit flat.