Ceramic tile tenting/lifting up

Old 08-29-16, 03:26 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile tenting/lifting up

We have had our entire home tiled 12 years ago. I don't know anything about if there are expansion joints etc. Recently, the tile started tenting up. It spans over an area of approx 8 sq ft. You can see there is a large space underneath them where they have completely lifted off the floor. The tiles were set directly on the concrete slab. And yes, it is super humid here (FL).

My question is, what do I need to do to fix this. Can I just pull up the tiles, and reset them? Or do I need to find out what is causing this first?

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-29-16, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Obviously finding out what is causing it is important. I would remove one of the tiles and post pictures of the concrete floor under it and the bottom of the tile so we can see what is happening. Quite possibly moisture has eked its way into your slab and could have caused adhesion problems. As to why they are buckling, not sure, but we'll look when the pictures are posted.

Old 08-29-16, 04:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Old 08-29-16, 07:46 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi Mickapoo,

Your problem is more common than you'd think. It happens when the installers/builders/architects are too lazy to provide expansion gaps and/or joints and when homeowners insist on having no shoe molding when the base molding is already installed. The tiles are grouted against the base and walaa....10-20 years later it tents. Sometimes the event is a sudden "explosion", sometimes kinda gentle.

Please remove the tented tiles then tap the others to hear for hollow sounds which of course mean those are loose too. Use the handle of a screwdriver or bounce a golf ball.

Tell us if you have a large area that is tiled, as is common in Fl., Post a layout if you can or email it to someone. You'll want to correct the installation before another area tents.

Jaz

Old 08-30-16, 06:58 AM
M
Thank you for the replies. I have attached photos of the two we have already removed along with the concrete floor beneath it. I also attached a photo of the general area that is tenting.

To answer your question if it's a large area that is tiled, yes, our entire home is tiled.

Thanks again.

Name:  tile2.jpg
Views: 4225
Size:  34.2 KBName:  tile5.jpg
Views: 4457
Size:  34.2 KBName:  tile3.jpg
Views: 4430
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 08-30-16, 12:52 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What I see;

Cheapo red clay, medium absorbent tile. Tile's bisque probably in 3-8% absorbent range.
Poor thinset transfer, poor troweling technique. Thinset quality unknown.
Probably no perimeter expansion joints, and no expansion joints in the field.
High moisture environment.

Jaz

Old 08-30-16, 01:01 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Your tile is tenting do to a lack of movement joints. This can happen many years after the tile installation, especially if the tile was well bonded. You will need to remove all the tented tile and any other loose tile. You can tap on each of the tiles with a screwdriver handle as was suggested. As has already been stated, its likely that the tile was grouted to the base molding around the entire tiled area. You will have to remove the base molding or shoe molding to determine this. If that is the case, you will have to remove the grout from the entire perimeter of the rooms. Additionally, you may need movement joints in the field as well. You should have movement joints every 20 to 25 feet in each direction. If your tile is exposed to direct sunlight, movement joints should be every 8 to 12 feet in each direction. You can make a layout of your entire tiled area and then determine where best to put the movement joints, possibly doorways and less traffic or less visual areas. You’ll have to remove the grout where movement joints are required as well. This link has some good info.

https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/54-movement-joints.html

Old 08-30-16, 03:04 PM
M
Thank you for the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: