Do I need insulation for dividing rooms in basement?

Old 10-11-16, 04:14 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Do I need insulation for dividing rooms in basement?

I'm trying to divid my basement in a couple of rooms. Do I need insulation inside the drywall?

Old 10-11-16, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
People put insulation in interior walls when they want to try to achieve a little more sound control. IMO the miniscule difference it makes is hardly worth the cost of the insulation. Other techniques are much more effective when using insulation for sound reduction. Double wall/ staggered studs, etc.

Old 10-11-16, 05:00 PM
C
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I'm planning to make a home theatre room in the basement but a wall separating this room is another bedroom so I'm thinking of ways to minimize the sound.

Old 10-11-16, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Some will use a 2x6 as a top plate and bottom plate, then use 2x4 studs, alternating the layout so that half the studs are lined up for drywall on one side, half on the other side, with insulation weaving around in the space between the 2 alternating sides of studs. This is okay, but not the best, because of the shared plates. The better route is to build 2 completely seperate walls, insulate and double rock them. Ceilings can be hung on resilient channels (rc) which helps uncouple the drywall surface from the studs. 2 layers of 5/8" rock is what hotels generally use, as it works well both for fire codes and for sound deadening.

Base vibration is what often needs to be stopped with home theatre systems, so there are also other products that can be used to help with that. It just depends how crazy you want to get and how much you are willing to spend.

Old 10-12-16, 04:55 AM
C
Thanks, XSleeper for the response. I'd appreciated. I'l take it into consideration when I'm putting up the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: