Tips and suggestions for covering brick fireplace with stone

Old 01-08-17, 09:23 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tips and suggestions for covering brick fireplace with stone

I'm planning to cover the attached brick fireplace with natural stone for a more modern finish. This is the fireplace:

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  31.1 KB

I was thinking something like this as the stone (thought I'll probably find somewhere cheaper than HD) Veneerstone Imperial Stack Stone Vorago Corners

I've seen quite a few tutorials about this online and am planning to level up the tiles with thin layer of mortar (including filling the current mortar gaps to create a level surface). I was also thinking of putting some slate down on the flat furnace in front of the fire.

The part I'm most challenged with is the curved brick mantelpiece. As you can see, the brickwork is pretty intricate and I'm not sure what to do with that. I have a couple of ideas...

1/ Leave as is and have it poke out a bit past the stone. I don't think this will look great.
2/ Grind off the mantel - this will be real messy and awful work. I'd rather not do this.
3/ Do some build up work on the mantel to either make square (piece of wood along the top maybe) or keep the curve and intricately create a curved mantel from natural stone.

This is where I'd love your thoughts? Suggestions for what to do here? Any thoughts on the rest of the plan?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by PJmax; 01-08-17 at 09:53 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 01-09-17, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I don't know what the weight of the stone will be, but have any of your tutorials mentioned applying lath over the existing brick? I would entertain that. Do away with the eyebrow trim completely, as it serves no purpose in what you are planning.

Once you decide on the type mantel you want, I would attach an inverted 2x4 (+) cleat on the brick, attached via lag bolts to the framing behind it and attach the opposite type cleat on the mantel. That way you can take your mantel, sit it on the cleat and drill down connecting the two cleats for a solid application. The rock will cover the cleats and you will be able to utilize the full depth of your mantel without hiding part of it behind stone.

Don't laugh at my rudimentary drawing

Name:  cleat.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  7.4 KB

Old 01-11-17, 07:03 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler! When you say "do away with the eyebrow trim" - do you mean the semi-circular set of protruding bricks? If so, how would you get rid of these?

Old 01-12-17, 02:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes, it serves no purpose and is dated to at least 1970. Since you will be placing stone over the flat surface, you can probably use a wide stone chisel and heavy hammer, then grind them smoother with an angle grinder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: