Question on installing grab bar on bath tub wall

Old 02-14-17, 06:07 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on installing grab bar on bath tub wall

I have a ranch home built in the early 1950s. The bathroom tub is on an outside wall and the wall above the tub has glazed tile to 4 feet above the tub. I would like to install a grab bar on this tiled wall. However, I am having problems finding the wall studs behind the tiles. My Zircon stud sensor is giving odd results - it tells me there is a stud every 5 inches? Wondering if the stud finder will not work through tile? Or is the wall behind the tiles constructed in some peculiar way back in the 1950s?
Any input/suggestions would be appreciated,

Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-17, 06:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
What is on the other side of the wall? If you can locate the studs on the other side you can transfer the measurements.

Old 02-14-17, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your walls are drywall, I would use a magnetic stud finder at the level above the wall tile.
One type is called stud 4 sure, it has powerful magnets that will find and hold onto the nails or screws.
I don't know of any stud finder that works through tile, I don't even trust them through drywall.

Here's a link to grab bar anchors rated at 500 pounds:
MOEN SecureMount Stainless Steel Grab Bar Anchors in Chrome (2-Pack)-SMA1000CH - The Home Depot

You will need to avoid studs in order to install these. The max thickness is 1.5", so a mortar bed might or might not be a problem.

Old 02-14-17, 11:04 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I understand not finding the studs through the tile, but it should work above the tile; similar to what Handyone suggested, but using what you already have. Then you just use a level down to where you want them. Wide masking or painters tape works well to make your marks on.