Ceramic Tile over Ceramic Tile ?

Old 03-29-17, 09:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile over Ceramic Tile ?

Hello Everyone - I have a basement bathroom which has a very dated, but very solid ceramic tile floor. I have plans to update the bathroom and have begun gutting the walls, but I'm weary of trying to remove the tile floor. I know it's going to be a very tough job. Since the subfloor is my concrete slab, is there any way I could tile right over the existing floor ? If so, would this cause any issue mounting a new toilet - since the floor would likely be about 1/2" or so higher. I'm curious whether anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this. I appreciate it. Thank you

Old 03-30-17, 01:18 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It can be done but is not the best option. Besides items like the flange you also have to consider the transition to other floors being off now.

Taking up old tile is not so bad. Mortar is not strong in a shear state, along the plane of the floor. Once you get underneath the tile it usually just pops off and then you can scrape off the remaining mortar and do the job right.

If tiling directly on concrete floor you may want to consider a crack isolation membrane. That way if the floor cracks it wont take the tile with it!

Old 03-30-17, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree. Using an SDS hammer with a flat blade will get under the tile and pop it off. Now, you may have a good time getting the thinset residue off the concrete, but the results will be well worth the effort, toilet wise and threshold wise.

Old 04-01-17, 12:03 AM
J
Thanks for the replies - I'm attaching a photo to show why I'm concerned about removing the existing tile. The picture shows the entrance to the bathroom. There appears to be about two inches or mortar underneath the saddle. The saddle is maybe 1/2" above the floor tile - so I'm thinking that there could be about 1.5" of mortar underneath the floor tile.

Ordinarily I would never consider leaving the existing tile in place, but trying to get that chiseled out and level will be a nightmare.

Imagine upload is failing - will try adding it again tomorrow.

Old 04-01-17, 12:20 AM
J
Name:  IMG_7753.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  45.8 KB

Photo attached saddle and tile from basement floor.

Old 04-01-17, 01:20 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Looks like someone did a thick-bed mud job to make the floor flat & level. Excellent results in most cases. If after tapping the entire floor to check for hollow sounds proves negative, I definitely vote to go over the old. You're right, that if that floor was installed the way I think, it would be a nightmare to rip it up cuz you'd have to go right back and build it up again.

I have tiled over old ceramic floors many times with near perfect results. The one failure was cuz the customer volunteered to remove the wax from the unglazed porcelain mosaics from the '50's and save $$$. I have done it on people's floors that I will see often for the rest of our lives, and my own main bath floor.

To guarantee a good job, be sure the old is solid, every square inch of it. Super clean and rinse. Then either grind the tiles is glazed and/or apply this stuff; ECO Prim Grip Products

I did most before this bond promoting primer was available, but it's a good idea to use this.

Toilet re install.........minor issue.

Jaz

Old 04-01-17, 03:09 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You dont have to remove the mortar bed, just the tiles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: