Removing vinyl for tiling

Old 05-11-17, 09:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing vinyl for tiling

I am remodeling the main bath in my 1972 fixer. Yesterday I set out to remove the vinyl flooring. The previous homeowner put down peel and stick vinyl tiles, so I knew there was another layer...but that appears to have been laid in the early 90s, based on style. So that leaves layer 3 (and oh, it was special!). It was glued directly to the plywood subfloor. I've been pretty successful getting the floor up by cutting it into strips and Using a putty knife, but the paper (?) backing of that bottom layer is staying stuck to the plywood.

So my question is, how much of an issue is that? I haven't put a level to it yet, but it does not seem to be adding any height-it's literally like a piece of paper. Since I'll be tiling the floor, I'll of course be adding backer board over the subfloor.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-17, 09:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Vinyl is typically installed over a 1/4" layer of plywood, which needs to be removed for tile installation.

What are the layers you're seeing?

Old 05-11-17, 02:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The vinyl was glued directly to the 3/4" plywood subfloor. I don't know if that's how it was done in 1972 or if it was just done improperly, but that's what I've got! (The shower tile was placed on regular drywall, so there's really no telling.)

Old 05-11-17, 05:30 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I bought a used clothes iron from a thrift store to apply heat to the paper and loosen the glue. You can then scrape the paper off. You will need to ask some more questions about your subfloor prior to tiling to make sure you have a solid enough base to tile on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: