Surface prep for Mosaic wall tile

Old 05-20-17, 10:19 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Surface prep for Mosaic wall tile

I'm putting glass/stone mosaic tile on an accent wall in a half bath. Not a wet area. Currently, the wall has a slight texture and is painted with an eggshell paint.

What kind of surface prep do I need to do to the wall before adhesive and tile? See picture below for texture.

Thank you in advance.

Name:  IMG_1189.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  41.3 KB

Old 05-20-17, 02:05 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
what is the size of the area that will receive tile

Old 05-20-17, 04:39 PM
Z
It is from counter-top to the ceiling. Approximately 6ft 8in high by 3ft 4in wide.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-20-17, 04:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Personally, I would skim coat with joint compound to smooth out the surface, then light sand, knock down any high spots, prime and then put up your mosaic.

Old 05-20-17, 07:02 PM
On some glass mosaic tile, white thin set is recommend. The thin set will be visible through the glass.

It doesn't take much prep. I tear out a lot of full splashes and most of the time the tile will not come off the wall without severe drywall damage, requiring cut out and replace.
The tile is going nowhere, trust me.
Just a joke but tile guys are my enemies

Old 05-21-17, 06:59 AM
Z
So, are you saying pretty much no prep is necessary? Leave the texture and paint as is? Maybe just clean the walls off before the white thin set is applied?

Old 05-21-17, 12:06 PM
I would sand quickly/roughly with a heavy grit or scratch the walls, then clean.

I think anybody can attest the thin set sticks very well.

Old 05-21-17, 03:24 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Again, given the small size of many tile/glass mosaics, a flat surface is needed. Skim coat the wall to smooth, sand to flat, prime and then install your tile. Otherwise, the only real grab the mosaic will have on the wall will be at the raised portion of the texture. You need solid coverage and contact. It will also prevent you from having to "float" small tiles and try to keep level as you install. Mosaics usually require you to go back and make sure every tile is set into the thinset. You literally push down on every piece of mosaic. If you push on a low spot you will end up with an uneven tile. Skim it to a smooth surface and paint for ease of installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: