Need help with accent wall stone installation.

Old 06-22-17, 08:53 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with accent wall stone installation.

Hello all, I am rather versed in trades work and have done lots of home improvement stuff but never touched the stone wall veneer stuff so I have some questions. I am also worried that all this weight could be too much for the wall to handle.

I will be installing this product on one entire wall in my living room as an accent wall:
https://www.flooranddecor.com/ledger...ry=175&start=4

#1 - Can I install this directly over the drywall, or should I hang sheetrock over the drywall?

#2 - If I CAN use just the drywall, should I add extra drywall to stud screws for strength and then also attach a wire mesh first?

#3 - What type of mortar would work best to attach this stuff?

#4 - To cut it, should I just use an angle grinder with a masonry disc?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

Old 06-22-17, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
#1 Sheetrock IS drywall. It's just a brand name that has taken on a generic usage. They are
both gypsum core with paper backings.

#2 I doubt that will be necessary as long as the existing is firmly attached and flat. Most of the
weight is straight down. I would be concerned somewhat about water being sucked out of
the mix by the paper. Someone else should be able to answer that better. Is the wall
currently painted? If so, with what?

#3 What does the manufacturer recommend? The install instructions are the go to source. If
they aren't on the packages get them from the retailer or have the retailer get a faxed
copy from the manufacturer.

#4 You could probably use a wet tile saw or a grinder with a diamond blade. Don't try and use
a fiber masonry disc, a diamond blade will cut smoother and faster for a longer time. A
trickle of water on the cut will really keep the dust down.

Old 06-24-17, 05:55 PM
G
Thanks for the input. I just checked with the manufacturer and they recommend installing over cement board. So I guess I will be installing cement board first.

I need to run some new wires through the walls so I guess I will remove all the drywall on that entire wall and install the cement board direct to stud first.

Old 06-24-17, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, if you don't mind a loss of 1/2" of space, I'd just cut a strip of sheetrock out to run wires but leave the rest in place...as long as you can get screws for the backerboard long enough. Did they specify thickness of backer? 1/4" would be a lot easier to work with but can't be installed directly to studs I don't believe...too flexible. Over sheetrock it should work fine. And a heck of a lot less mess if you don't have to tear all the old stuff down.

Old 06-25-17, 06:44 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Remove the sheetrock, reset your electrical outlet boxes to be the correct depth to accommodate the stone. Also, 1/2" cement board is for walls. You can initially hang it with roofing nails and then go back and screw it off with the appropriate cement backer screws. Get some cement board fiber tape and use thinset to tape off all the seams. Don't apply it too thick as to create a hump that will give you grief when installing your stone.

An inexpensive wet saw can be purchased at the home centers that comes with a diamond blade. You will need it for making smooth cuts, especially around your outlets. The last ledge stone wall I did, we framed the outlets with wood and then cut the stone around them.

Use a sticky thinset, my go to is called Ultralite by mapei. It can be found at tile distributors. It has a really good initial tack and will not sag like a regular thinset tends to.

Old 06-25-17, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
See I knew some Pro would be around eventually. Not before I looked beyond stupid though...lol.

Old 06-25-17, 04:09 PM
Vic, you crack me up!

Here are some before and after pics of a similar ledge stone installation that I did. It was exterior, but the same installation techniques would be used.

Name:  Don Web jpg.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  Don Web B.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  Don web C.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  24.4 KB

Old 06-25-17, 05:53 PM
I would just add that a tile saw is nice but an angle grinder with a diamond blade should work for getting the cuts straight enough.
Good job Czizzi, the brick veneer looks nice!

Old 06-25-17, 06:30 PM
An angle grinder will never give you the precise cuts that a wet saw will. Live and learn so go experiment. I use the angel grinder/diamond blade for specialty cuts that can't be accomplished with a wet saw, Usually interior cuts involving obstacles to go around.

Old 06-28-17, 05:11 PM
G
Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions!

I ended up removing all drywall and then ran all my new wiring through the studs and then put up 1/2" cement board.

I'm using Ultraflex LHT mortar by Mapei made for heavier stone so it should hold up well, so far so good!

Just ran the first four courses of stone today, gonna let that set up overnight. And then do the rest tomorrow. I ended up borrowing a wet tile saw and it's SO much better than the angle grinder. Still needed the grinder for a few small cuts here and there.

Will post some before and after photos when I'm done!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: