Porcelain tile in the screen porch

Old 07-22-17, 08:52 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Porcelain tile in the screen porch

Thinking about installing porcelain tile on the screen porch on the deck. Any special materials or details I need? Can I use regular plywood, cement board, tape, thinset, and grout that I used in the kitchen?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-17, 12:39 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Whats the construction of the porch?

Old 07-23-17, 11:14 AM
A
Its floor is treated decking boards, a few years old. The walls and roof are painted 2x construction.

Old 07-24-17, 05:51 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
This is a tough one, as traditionally, you do not want to tile over dimensional lumber. Deckboards in particular expand and contract an awful lot given extremes in outside temperatures. Using plywood outside will also probably lead to longevity problems. As this was probably originally designed as a deck and the screened in area as an afterthought, underneath it is not set up as conditioned dry space or at least not with moisture barrier which will lead to issues as well. Further, would a deck meet minimum deflection criteria for tile?, probably not.

Old 08-07-17, 06:30 PM
A
Thanks for the info. I did some reading, and you're exactly right about deflection. And the moisture. So, I'm off to explore other options!

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: