Bathtub surround-do I need a moisture barrier?

Old 09-11-17, 12:44 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathtub surround-do I need a moisture barrier?

I've seen both on how to videos.

I'm ripping out the old tile (late 70s original bath). The tile is actually in pretty good shape but want a mixing valve instead of separate hot and cold handles. It will be clean down to the studs.

I'll use hardibacker and a 12" porcelain tile with TEC power grout.

Do you recommend any additional waterproofing either in front of or behind the hardibacker?

Next question, what do I use on the ceiling. I'm removing the soffit and want tiles on the ceiling in tub/shower area. Do I use hardibacker there too? Or just a moisture resistant sheetrock? There is no light in the shower.

Thanks so much. Feel free to chime in with helpful hints. Am I nuts to tile the ceiling??

Old 09-11-17, 04:19 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Grout is porous, cement board is porous.

My shower had Ditra!

Old 09-11-17, 04:24 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
#1, Post a picture.
A whole lot less money and labor to use a remodeling trim ring if the tile is in good shape.
MOEN Remodeling Cover Plate for 2 and 3-Handle Tub and Showers in Chrome-1920 - The Home Depot

Old 09-12-17, 05:46 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interesting on the trim ring. I didn't know those existed. But this bath/shower is 40+ years old. It's time to freshen it up. How does the Ditra work? Does it go between the wall and hardibacker? Can it be used on an exterior wall? Will it be too thick?

Old 09-12-17, 08:35 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Ditra, and Prova are membranes that are installed on the outer surface of the drywall, yes you can use drywall, or other substrate.

Once installed your shower is water tight, nothing will get past it, tile is installed on top.

It's the absolute final word in preventing leaks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: