Epoxy grout and mold

Old 11-02-17, 07:50 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Epoxy grout and mold

We live in the Houston area (high humidity) and had a shower built in the master bath. The tile provider suggested we use epoxy grout for water proofing and no mold. We also installed a larger vent in the ceiling to vent out moisture.

Now, not even a year after it was installed we are seeing mold in the grout. Obviously, we’re not very happy.

We’re our expectations of the epoxy grout correct?

What might we do to solve the issue? Should we remove the epoxy grout (won’t be easy, I know) and re-grout?

Thanks

Old 11-02-17, 08:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Mold can grow on the surface of even epoxy grout. Have you tried cleaning it off?

Old 11-02-17, 08:44 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It's not the grout but all the krud that collects on the grout, you still have to keep it clean.

\My bad, just repeated what PD stated!

Old 11-02-17, 09:48 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, we tried cleaning, which did not work. Then I took my utility knife and gently scraped ways the grout to see if that made a difference, which it did.

It looks like maybe there are some low spots in the grout where water is settling. Is it possible to build this up without removing the old grout or do I have to take out the old grout?

Old 11-02-17, 11:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
New grout cannot be applied in thin layers, which is what would result if you tried to do so without digging out at least much of what's there now.

Old 11-02-17, 12:01 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
you are likely just scrapping away the krud and grout which is making it look new. What are you using to clean, a tile cleaner, smells like acid?

Epoxy grout is a little better due to the epoxy but the repair area has to be clean and would take out some additional material just to be safe!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: