First time tiler here - trowel for glass subway tile?

Old 11-02-17, 02:47 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
First time tiler here - trowel for glass subway tile?

I have read that the thinset package would tell you the type of trowel that was needed, but I can't make heads or tails of this.
I am using 3-in x 12-in glass subway tile, for a kitchen backsplash area.
The thinset is from Lowe's, "TEC Skill Set Glass Tile" mortar. This is on the package:

Coverage rate, 1/4-in x 1/4-in x 1/4-in square-notch trowel: 18 - 20 sq ft 1/4-in x 3/8-in x 1/4-in square-notch trowel: 13 - 15 sq ft

What type of trowel should I be using? I had read that a 3/16-inch notched trowel is best, and then I see that^^ on the package. Thank you for your advice!

Old 11-02-17, 03:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
Notch size is not a hard and fast rule. I go to a larger or taller notch if the substrate is uneven and I need more room to adjust the tile's height. For your tile I would probably go with 1/4 x 1/4" notch.

Old 11-02-17, 05:58 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
First off make sure your mortar is White in color so it doesn't bleed through color on the glass tile. Set a ledger board level with the second row so that you have something to support the tile so it won't sag on you. Then return and inset the first row, cut to what ever size is needed. On walls, 1/4x1/4 trowels may be overkill, but as previously mentioned, depends on how straight your walls are and how much play you need given high and low spots. Most of my walls are done with a v-notched trowel. If additional mortar is needed, I back butter the tile to give a double thickness.

Old 11-19-17, 08:30 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Thanks Pilot Dane. I figured it out, and tiling is done. Turned out beautifully.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: