Floor Tile

Old 02-18-18, 06:31 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor Tile

Sorry if this question has been asked. I am in the process of laying tile on my bathroom. Have never laid tile before. I got a Rigid wet tile saw (R4030) that works really well. Using 12x24 tiles. Already laid Schluter Ditra. Just dry-laid the tiles and ready to apply mortar. The floor is 12' x 10' with about 70% to be tiled. Since the tiles are now dry-laid in place I had planned on mortaring a few tiles starting at about the middle and continuing towards the back end leaving the path towards the entrance last. I don't think I can do all in one sitting so my question is how do I end the mortaring midway? And is my sequence on direction to tile ok? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 02-19-18, 12:03 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
After figuring how the tiles will go down I lay the bulk of the full tiles then come back and install all the cut tiles,

By pre cutting you are going to have to be carefull not to get your pattern off.

Start on either side, scribe a line, lay a row of solid tiles, then the row of cut tiles against a wall then work your way across.

Old 02-19-18, 06:00 AM
D
Not quite sure what you mean. If I understand you suggest starting from the back edge with cut and solid (full) tiles where you don't plan to step on and work you way to the front? Did you see my picture. Thats taken from the front looking towards the back.

Old 02-19-18, 09:10 AM
Correct, hard to tell what the doors lead to but once they start to be installed you dont want to get on it till grouting.

Old 02-19-18, 03:49 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Have never precut everything before. Will be very important to keep reference tiles firmly in place so you don't loose your pattern. I would number in pencil your last two rows of tiles. Remove them and stand them along the wall leaving all the rest of the tiles in place and undisturbed with spacers so they don't move. Spread your unmodified thinset in the open area and replace the tiles you earlier removed. Once these tiles are set, move back and do the same thing with the next two rows - label, remove and install.

Keep in mind that those near doorways and thresholds are usually cut so they fit underneath the door casing, these will need to be installed first and then the field tiles.

Maintaining the exact layout is key or your precut tiles will not work out. Remember, 1/4" off or and angle off would destroy all your efforts to date.

Old 02-19-18, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Just taking what czizzi said one step farther... (probably same idea, different words) you might want to lay a sheet of foam down on the right side of your floor to kneel on.... take up everything that is left of that bucket and multitool. Spread your thinset on that side and set those tile... then once they are set in place with spacers, take up the rest and work your way back out the door.

Old 02-20-18, 03:26 PM
D
Originally Posted by czizzi
Have never precut everything before. Will be very important to keep reference tiles firmly in place so you don't loose your pattern. I would number in pencil your last two rows of tiles. Remove them and stand them along the wall leaving all the rest of the tiles in place and undisturbed with spacers so they don't move. Spread your unmodified thinset in the open area and replace the tiles you earlier removed. Once these tiles are set, move back and do the same thing with the next two rows - label, remove and install.

Keep in mind that those near doorways and thresholds are usually cut so they fit underneath the door casing, these will need to be installed first and then the field tiles.

Maintaining the exact layout is key or your precut tiles will not work out. Remember, 1/4" off or and angle off would destroy all your efforts to date.
Thanks for the reply czizzi. Can you help me out with terminology please?

Reference tile?
So you mean set the last to rows first and work my way to the entrance (the door on the right goes to a closet).

"Keep in mind that those near doorways and thresholds are usually cut so they fit underneath the door casing, these will need to be installed first and then the field tiles."

Can you please explain this? So you mean to install the tiles by the doorways first? What about the tiles from the back I already installed working my way to the front? How does that install relate to this comment?

"Remember, 1/4" off or and angle off would destroy all your efforts to date."
Are you referring to the space from the walls by 1/4"?

Old 02-20-18, 03:30 PM
D
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Just taking what czizzi said one step farther... (probably same idea, different words) you might want to lay a sheet of foam down on the right side of your floor to kneel on.... take up everything that is left of that bucket and multitool. Spread your thinset on that side and set those tile... then once they are set in place with spacers, take up the rest and work your way back out the door.
Thanks. I replied with some questions.

Old 02-20-18, 03:40 PM
D
Btw, I will be installing the Schluter Edge Trim at the thresholds. See pics.

Also, is it ok to pause the tiling for several hours. Do I just scrape any excess mortar and pick up where I left off the next day?

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-18, 03:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You start at the furthest point and work your way backwards towards a door you can exit. I don't know enough about your situation, but if the closet is the door to the right, I would remove the back two rows that basically cover from left to the closet door. Spread thinset and install those. Then remove the next two rows and use the grout lines from the first two rows and the 3rd two rows to line everything up so you maintain pattern. Continue until you exit the room.

I guess the key I am trying to express is that you don't lift up the whole room of tile and then start laying it down from a blank slate. You need to maintain the current grout lines so doing it n sections helps to maintain position relative to all the precut tiles you have.

Also, tiles that large should probably be back buttered to ensure good adhesion. They look like 12x24's.

Old 02-20-18, 06:41 PM
D
Yes, they are 12x24. I will check the back after a couple of tiles to check the thin set coverage and back butter as necessary.

Do you have any thoughts on my other question about pausing the work for the next day?

Old 02-21-18, 12:18 AM
Pausing is perfectly fine, just clean up any mortar on the floor and start with new material.

Old 02-21-18, 04:28 AM
D
Originally Posted by Marq1
Pausing is perfectly fine, just clean up any mortar on the floor and start with new material.
Thanks Marq1. Yes, being the first time I wasn't sure how everything would fit so I decided to dry-lay everything. Am attaching more pics to see if y'all may have any other comments. They show the other areas along with the Ditra membrane before I covered it with tile. I'm also extending the tile in to the toilet that has linoleum but will do that part later as I have to tear off the old floor. It was a last minute decision.

I will also be setting an acrylic stand alone tub by the water lines sticking up the floor (pic 4) and a 72" vanity by wall next to the water lines on pic 3.

Attached Images       

Last edited by diytoby; 02-21-18 at 06:04 AM. Reason: clarify

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: